Diary - A few days ago, my mother watched a show about selling of castles.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A few days ago, my mother watched a show about selling of castles. She found that many castles were very cheap, and she suggested we bought one and lived there. I objected to her because I believe we need to renovate the castle very often. Mostly importantly, I don’t know how many people has died in there. That makes me scared. However, if I were eight years old, I would probably agree with this idea.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few days ago, my mother watched a show about selling the sale of castles. She found out that many castles were are sold very cheaply, and she suggested we bought buy one and lived live there. I objected to her because I believe we would need to renovate make repairs to the castle very often. Mostly importantly, I don’t know how many people has might have died in there. That makes me scared. However, if I were eight years old, I would probably agree with this her idea.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What’s the difference in meaning between “found” and “found out” in that sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I tend to use "found" after I've done some investigating. In this case, she simply watched a TV programme. From that programme, she found out (learned) something about castles.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might have said: "A few days ago, my mom watched a show about people selling castles and decided that she wants one."

There's a story!