Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I can't sleep now because a fly got into my house. It's midnight right now. I can't believe the fly would work so late. It must be so hungry that it flew so many floors to hunt for food at midnight. The fly doesn't know how to get out, and it's stuck in my room for half an hour. Its flying sound is so loud that scares me. I put some food by the window in the hope of it not clawing on my face when I sleep.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:eek: What size are flies where you are?! Do they really have claws?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

It's midnight and I can't sleep now because a fly has got into my house. It's midnight right now. I can't believe the a fly would work so late! It must be so very hungry that it flew to fly so many floors to hunt for food at midnight. The fly It doesn't know how to get out, and it's been stuck in my room for half an hour. Its flying sound The buzzing is so loud that it scares me. I have put some food by the window in the hope of it not clawing on that the fly won't land on my face when while I sleep.

I've corrected it so it's grammatical. As far as the logic goes, I don't know where to start! But I'll try ...

Flies don't work.
Flies don't care how many floors up you are. They have wings. That's why they're called flies.
Also, you said it was in your house - houses generally are only two to three stories high so "so many floors" doesn't really make any sense. For all we know, your room is on the ground floor. It would make more sense if you lived in a flat (apartment) on a high floor of a building.
Why don't you just open the window?
Putting food out won't stop the fly landing on your face. It's not trying to eat you. If it lands on you, it'll be for a little rest.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Right, I live in an apartment. I’ve opened the windows but it seems that the fly can’t get out for some reason. Maybe it’s too dark so the fly can’t find way out.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Right, I live in an apartment.
Then don't say you live in a house.
I’ve opened the windows but it seems that the fly can’t get out for some reason.
Get a newspaper and waft the fly out of the window or at least out of the door of your bedroom.
Maybe it’s too dark so the fly can’t find way out.
Turn a light on.

Honestly, I really don't think this is worth a diary entry. It's a fly in your room. That's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.