Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Kuwait
Hello

I am puzzled between using divided by and divided into in maths.

Which one is correct six divided into two or six divided by two?

Violetz

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Kuwait
Thanks

Is it possible to use present simple passive ,such as six is divided by two?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In what context would you wish to say this?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello. Unnecessary. Just go ahead and ask your question. :cool:

I am puzzled between using divided by and divided into in maths.

Which one is correct six divided into two or six divided by two?

In writing a maths exam.
Please note my amendments to your posts.

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
In writing maths exam.
6 divided by 2 = 3

6 divided into two, gives a two number result. If limited to integers: 3 and 3. 4 and 2, or 5 and 1.

It could also be interpreted as: 6 divided into 2 = 0.33333333 recurring.

As 5jj offered, mathematics has a well defined symbolic language which avoids problems of interpretation (although there are variants). If you're looking for someone to test your exam questions I'd be happy to help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of that before.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure how widespread this usage is, but I tend to use 'divided by' when reading a math equation, but when talking to myself as I work through the problem, I say things like "two goes into six three times."

When teaching basic math, I've also asked students questions like "how many times does two go into 10?" I remember being asked that question a lot as a student. I suspect that's where I picked it up from.

Violetz

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Kuwait
In a maths exam it would normally be written as 6÷2 and said as six divided by two.
Thank you.

That's right, but I have to write every math equations in words, not symbolic language. Because in the Arabic language we have the same symbols and I am supposed to test students if they know what "divided by" and "times" mean. Again my question is it possible to write the present simple passive ,such as ten is divided by two equals five?

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Because in the Arabic language we have the same symbols. And we in English also have multiple uses for the same symbols and words.
This seems madness to me. You are testing something your students have been taught. Therefore the teaching materials must contain the terms and their meanings. If you are having trouble, why would you imagine that the students are in any better position?

Sorry, this probably is not your doing.

Violetz

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Kuwait
This seems madness to me. You are testing something your students have been taught. Therefore the teaching materials must contain the terms and their meanings. If you are having trouble, why would you imagine that the students are in any better position?

Sorry, this probably is not your doing.
Hold your horses. Of course, I will elaborate the lesson first and then I will write the exam later on. The reason why I posted a thread about maths equation terms is to make sure students understand the terms in English then they can solve the exam. Never works the other way around.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're creating a maths exam, you won't use words at all in the mathematical questions or equations. It should look like this:

Solve the following problems:
1. 6÷2=
2. 14x12=
3. 126+35=
4. 27-42=

Violetz

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
Kuwait
If you're creating a maths exam, you won't use words at all in the mathematical questions or equations. It should look like this:

Solve the following problems:
1. 6÷2=
2. 14x12=
3. 126+35=
4. 27-42=
You're right, using symbols is more common than words, but I am teaching adult students a basic maths equations in English.I have to write words in the exam ,such as five minus one equals Four even though I admit, it seems odd using words instead of symbols. Using symbols instead of words doesn't help me know if students can read the symbolic language in English or not.

Thank you again. For me, click on like button is not enough to thank everyone who helped me out on the thread.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you use "a" you have to follow it with one thing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... I have to write words in the exam, such as five minus one equals one ...

Thank you again. For me, a click on the Like button is not enough to thank everyone who helped me out on the thread.

My old maths teacher, Ron Ganser, taught me that five minus one equals four. ;)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right - using symbols is more common than words, but I am teaching adult students a basic maths equations equation in English. space after a full stop I have to write words in the exam, such as "Five minus one equals one" even though I admit no comma here it seems odd using words instead of symbols. Using symbols instead of words doesn't help me know work out/find out if students can read the words that represent those symbolic language symbols in English or not.

Thank you again. For me, click on like button is not enough to thank everyone who helped me out on the thread.

Note my corrections above. It strikes me that you're not writing a maths exam. You're writing an English test, using maths questions as the basis. I sincerely hope that "Five minus one equals one" doesn't appear as a correct answer in your test!

Regardless of your personal feelings, using the "Like" button is entirely sufficient. It saves everyone time.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could divide a cake into six pieces. 🧀

Status
Not open for further replies.