Do you think these sentences were written by native speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I found these two sentences in Longman dictionary. Do you think they were written by native speakers? I don't understand the logic of the sentences!

1. Atop the charred ground, white ash marks the shadows of fallen trees that burned so hot they disintegrated.
How can white ash mark the shadow of a tree? Does shadow mean remains here?

2. A typhoon also moved in that day, obscuring the mountain and turning the airborne ash into a downpour of mud.
How can ash be airborne and then turn into mud? Was there a fire maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I found these two sentences in Longman dictionary. Do you think they were written by native speakers? I don't understand the logic of the sentences! :

1. Atop the charred ground, white ash marks the shadows of fallen trees that burned so hot they disintegrated.
How can white ash mark the shadow of a tree? Does shadow mean remains here?

It's not meant to be taken literally. It's just a dramatic way of saying that there are now ashes where the trees once stood. (This is an example of dramatic language confusing a reader — you.)

2. A typhoon also moved in that day, obscuring the mountain and turning the airborne ash into a downpour of mud.
How can ash be airborne and then turn into mud? Was there a fire maybe?

Yes, a fire created the ashes. The ashes rose into the air. A typhoon is rain and wind. When its rain mixed with the ashes in the air, the ashes became mud and fell to the ground.

I don't know the writer's nationality. However, the English is natural and clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
100% yes, I do think they were written by native speakers.

1. The idea is that the fallen trees have disintegrated and all that is left to be seen is the ash.

2. Atmospheric moisture turned the ash in the air into mud.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's not meant to be taken literally. It's just a dramatic way of saying that there are now ashes where the trees once stood. (This is an example of dramatic language confusing a reader — you.)

Actually, I like both sentences! The only reason I got confused was that I did not know context. For example that a fire occurred. Had I known that, I would have enjoyed them without any tinge of confusion!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dictionaries don't habitually use sentences written by non-native speakers in their examples.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I like both sentences! The only reason I got confused was that I did not know context. For example that a fire occurred. Had I known that, I would have enjoyed them without any tinge of confusion!
The sentence mentions charred ground and ashes. How could there not have been a fire?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both sentences seem to be referring to volcanic activity. (Definitely a forest fire in any case.)

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The sentence mentions charred ground and ashes. How could there not have been a fire?

You are right. And I asked in the first post about the fire. I just wanted to make sure I fully dissect and understand the sentences and in any case I enjoyed them.

I appreciate you clearing them up, but I take issue with what you said about dramatic language being confusing. If anything, it makes you read the sentence a few times and enjoy it even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.