Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I am preparing a short list of the most popular English Language Certificates. Having googled a lot, I have compiled the following list:-

1. General English
2. Cambridge First
3. IELTS
4. TOEFL
5. TESOL
6. TEFL
7. STEP
8. Business English

However, there is mention of "ESL Certification". That has confused me a little bit because some sources talk about TESOL + TEFL as ESL certificates.

MY 2 questions, please:-
a. Is ESL a certificate in its own right or is it actually a "generic" word for TESOL + TEFL?

b. Is the list above comprehensive, i.e does it include all the important and popular certificates.

Regards,

David

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am preparing a short list of the most popular English language certificates. Having Googled a lot, I have compiled the following list:

1. General English
2. Cambridge First
3. IELTS
4. TOEFL
5. TESOL
6. TEFL
7. STEP
8. Business English

However, there is mention of "ESL certification". That has confused me a little bit because some sources talk about TESOL and TEFL as ESL certificates.

MY two questions are:

a. Is ESL a certificate in its own right or is it actually a "generic" word for TESOL and TEFL?

b. Is the list above comprehensive, i.e does it include all the important and popular certificates?

Regards,

David
I don't know.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi David,

a. Yes, it's a generic term. ESL is what you teach (English as a Second Language), not a particular certificate.
b. No, it's a scrambled mix of language tests, kinds of English, and teaching courses.

What's your goal here? Are you considering training to be a teacher?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "googled" does not have to be capitalized as it is a recognized word and not just a proper noun.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, jutfrank, for your reply.

I am not a "formal" teacher, really. But I help some beginners with their English lessons for a modest fee. I was then asked by a group to compile the most popular courses. Another group asked for the most popular certificates.

Google is very useful but it looks like the list is long. In the end, I managed the list posted above. And I just wanted to check first if it is accurate.

Kind regards.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "googled" does not have to be capitalized as it is a recognized word and not just a proper noun.
You might be right. I've only noticed it capitalized. I'll watch for it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, jutfrank, for your reply.

I am not a [STRIKE]"formal"[/STRIKE] qualified teacher [STRIKE], really.[/STRIKE] but I help some beginners with their English [STRIKE]lessons[/STRIKE] for a modest fee. I was then asked by a group to compile a list of the most popular courses. Another group asked for the most popular certificates.

Google is very useful but it looks like the list is long. In the end, I managed to compile the list posted above. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] I just wanted to check first if it is accurate.

Kind regards.

Note my corrections above. Try to avoid starting sentences with "But" and "And". There are circumstances in which they're possible but, for now, I recommend that you don't try it.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the useful link.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note my corrections above. Try to avoid starting sentences with "But" and "And". There are circumstances in which they're possible but, for now, I recommend that you don't try it.

The corrections have been noted. Much obliged!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That has confused me a little bit because some sources talk about TESOL and TEFL as ESL certificates.

There are certificates using these terms, but the reputable ones have proper individual names.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, there is mention of "ESL Certification". That has confused me a little bit because some sources talk about TESOL + TEFL as ESL certificates.

As Tdol suggests, 'ESL certification' refers to certification in ESL. It doesn't refer to a particular certificate.

TEFL simply stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Along with TESOL, this is what teachers do. A 'TEFL course' is any course that trains people to become teachers. There are specific ones with specific names, but 'TEFL course' is a generic term for all of them.

EFL and ESL is what students learn. And it's the subject that we teachers teach. Therefore, if somebody mentions 'ESL certification', they are referring to any certificate that qualifies the holder to teach English as Foreign/Second Language.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
However, there are courses and websites using just these names. I would urge caution before signing up.

tetrahall

Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tdol and jutfrank,

Thank you very much. The picture is much clearer now.

I am not a teacher and didn't know much about certifications. The confusion arose from visiting websites listing , for example, Tesol and General English as courses or certificates. They probably meant that they run courses leading to some certificates by that entity, a school or a college, etc.

Regards,

David

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Always do a whois search for anyone offering courses to have a look behind the curtain. If a qualification is registered once a year and hosted on a free server with thousands of other sites, you're probably better off avoiding it. Look for something more serious and more permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.