Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

These two paragraphs are my answers to one of the questions for ESL students.

A woman's husband is in prison. Do you think she should tell her little son where his father is? The woman does not want to tell him the truth.

"For me she is totally right and she shouldn't tell the truth to her son for several reasons. First of all, the 6 year's old child's psychology is not ready to accept this kind of information. In addition, she knows that her husband may be soon released."
I edited the first paragraph and removed "for me."

"She is totally right. I think she shouldn't tell her son the truth for several reasons. First of all, a 6/six-year-old child's psyche is not ready to accept this kind of information. In addition, quite possibly her husband will be soon released."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello.
These two paragraphs are my answers to [STRIKE]one of the[/STRIKE] a question for ESL students.

A woman's husband is in prison. Do you think she should tell her little son where his father is? The woman does not want to tell him the truth.

"For me, she is totally right [STRIKE]and she shouldn't[/STRIKE] in not telling her son the truth [STRIKE]to her son[/STRIKE] for several reasons. First of all, [STRIKE]the 6 year's[/STRIKE] a six-year-old child [STRIKE]psychology[/STRIKE] is not [STRIKE]ready to accept[/STRIKE] psychologically ready/prepared to deal with/process this kind of information. In addition, she knows that her husband may be soon released."
I edited the first paragraph and removed "for me."
You mention "several reasons" but only give two. consider using "a couple of" instead of "several".
There's no problem with "For me" there. You can include it or omit it. It's up to you.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You mention "several reasons" but only give two. consider using "a couple of" instead of "several".
There's no problem with "For me" there. You can include it or omit it. It's up to you.
I have two questions, if you please. In this context was using "psyche" wrong or unnecessary? And should numbers 1-10 be written in words in other contexts too?

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I am replying to post 2. Shouldn't it be '...ready for/prepared to deal...?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have two questions, if you please. In this context was using "psyche" wrong or unnecessary? And should numbers 1-10 be written in words in other contexts too?

I wouldn't say psyche is wrong but it is not natural since it is not a common word and sounds rather technical. Other than teechar's suggestions, the other possibilities are not mentally prepared or the six-year-old's mind is not prepared.

Yes, small numbers should be written in words.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In this context was using "psyche" wrong or unnecessary?
I don't think it's the best choice in this kind of general context.

And should numbers 1-10 be written in words in other contexts too?
Yes, unless they're part of, for example, an address, telephone number, date, etc. Do you get the idea?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am replying to post 2. Shouldn't it be '...ready for/prepared to deal...?

I would say not able to handle. A six-year-old is not able to handle that type of information.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
No.
"ready to deal with"
"ready to process"
No "for" in those.

This is fine, but your corrections psychologically ready/prepared to deal with/proceed suggest that either of the phrases can be fitted into the sentence. Suppose I take prepared to deal with/proceed off the sentence, I am left with psychologically ready this information. It doesn't sound right, does it?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Tarheel

VIP Member