Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is the second sentence natural? Should it be "stage II", 2 or "two"?
1. "He had the terminal ilness, cancer, the second stage."

2. "He was diagnosed with stage II cancer. He began to fight againt his ilness and finally defeated this illness/disease/it."

I think I should remove "against", "this ilness" and r "this disease" and use "it" instead and use again "cancer" instead of repeating "it."

"He was diagnosed with stage II cancer. He began to fight it and finally defeated cancer."
It is from questions for discussion purposes for English students.

You should definitely limit the repetition. It's very unnatural.

He was diagnosed with Stage 2 lung cancer but, after treatment, he is now in remission.

I have worded it like that because he did not battle or fight anything. The majority of people would say/believe that, while he might have done certain things to improve his health (better diet, exercise etc), it is almost certainly the case that it was medical treatment that resulted in his being in remission.

Did you actually find the quote in a list of discussion topics for English students?

You should definitely limit the repetition. It's very unnatural.

He was diagnosed with Stage 2 lung cancer but, after treatment, he is now in remission.

I have worded it like that because he did not battle or fight anything. The majority of people would say/believe that, while he might have done certain things to improve his health (better diet, exercise etc), it is almost certainly the case that it was medical treatment that resulted in his being in remission.

Did you actually find the quote in a list of discussion topics for English students?
Yes, if I find the link I will post it. It was also in the book "What Do You Think?" I don't remember the author of the book.

Hello.

Is the second sentence natural? Should it be "stage II", 2 or "two"?
1. "He had the terminal ilness, cancer, the second stage."

2. "He was diagnosed with stage II cancer. He fought it until he defeated it."

Are those sentences what somebody suggested? Why are you asking if the second is natural? What about the first?

Are those sentences what somebody suggested? Why are you asking if the second is natural? What about the first?

I wrote both of them. There are such exercises in most books You have to write down your opinion use new words pay attention to grammar and when I start to write I try to find the most natural way to express my opinion.

Yes, if I find the link I will post it. It was also in the book "What Do You Think?" I don't remember the author of the book.

Please remember to quote the source in post #1. Also, if you can't remember the name of the author or publisher, please try to find out online and quote that too. It took me less than thirty seconds to find the book online and see that it was published by Kobrinica Press. If you can give us the actual question/discussion topic too, that will help us decide whether your response is natural.

Please remember to quote the source in post #1. Also, if you can't remember the name of the author or publisher, please try to find out online and quote that too. It took me less than thirty seconds to find the book online and see that it was published by Kobrinica Press. If you can give us the actual question/discussion topic too, that will help us decide whether your response is natural.

I will of course. I think we are talking about different books. Let me check.

I just noticed that you misspelled "illness" in your title and throughout your posts.

I just noticed that you misspelled "illness" in your title and throughout your posts.

I didn't notice that. Thank you.

This is the book I was talking about. IMG_20201107_191906.jpg

Thank you for posting the picture. As you can see, it says "Written by ... Edited by ..." at the top. That information and the title of the book should have been in post #1, along with the wording of the discussion topic.

Try:

He had a terminal illness, lung cancer, stage 2.

Thank you for posting the picture. As you can see, it says "Written by ... Edited by ..." at the top. That information and the title of the book should have been in post #1, along with the wording of the discussion topic.
Yes, but I remember we talked about it before. It's not clear who the author of the book is.
My original question wasn't from this book. I only said I also saw such questions in "What Do You Think." I would have definitely written it in post #1. I am not going to break forum rules.:)

Try:

I was going to ask about "illness". It should be "ilness" not "disease". Right? And can I also say instead of "If a member of my family was diagnosed with a terminal illness", "If my family member was diagnosed with a terminal illness"? I mean "family member" instead of "a member of my family."

We say "terminal illness" but not "terminal disease". If you use "my family member", it sounds as if you have just one family member. Use either "a member of my family" or "a family member". If you use the latter, it will be clear that you are talking about a member of your own family unless the surrounding context suggests otherwise.

Try:

Looks like there are many options. "Stage 2", "stage II" but not "the second stage" or "stage two" or are the last two also possible in your example?

Did you notice what I didn't say?

Looks like there are many options. "Stage 2", "stage II" but not "the second stage" or "stage two" or are the last two also possible in your example?
"Stage two" or "stage 2" are fine. I haven't seen Roman numerals used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back