Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello !

I'm a literature student in France and we have this semester a literature in english class. I have a text to study (Beloved by Toni Morrison) and in an excerpt there is an expression that I'm not sure to correctly understand... Here it is :
"If you do die, just go on off somewhere where I can't see you, hear ?"
I thought it is a repetition for "do die", but finally I'm not so sure... In the french translation that we study too, it's just translate as "go on" so I'm a bit lost...

There is another thing that I don't understand. Here is the phrase :
"Don't up and die on me in the night, you hear ? I don't want to see your ugly black face hankering over me."
I don't get "hankering"... When I look in the dictionary it means "desire strongly"... But if it was really this then the sentence has no sens !

Thanks so much for your help !!!

Bye !

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello !

I'm a literature student in France and we have this semester a literature in english class. I have a text to study (Beloved by Toni Morrison) and in an excerpt there is an expression that I'm not sure to correctly understand... Here it is :
"If you do die, just go on off somewhere where I can't see you, hear ?"
I thaught it is a repetition for "do die", but finally I'm not so sure... In the french translation that we study too, it's just translate as "go on" so I'm a bit lost...

Thanks so much for your help !!!

Bye !

The author does not want to see the person die. So the person is being asked to go away from the author to die -- so the author doesn't have to see it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it helps to understand that "go on" and "off somewhere" are separate phrases.

Lau13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Thank you first ! So how would explain it ? What does "off somewhere" means ? Is it to really make understand that she doesn't want to see her die or something like this ? Thanks again for your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.