Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello !

I'm a literature student in France and we have this semester a literature in english class. I have a text to study (Beloved by Toni Morrison) and in an excerpt there is an expression that I'm not sure to correctly understand... Here it is :
"If you do die, just go on off somewhere where I can't see you, hear ?"
I thought it is a repetition for "do die", but finally I'm not so sure... In the french translation that we study too, it's just translate as "go on" so I'm a bit lost...

There is another thing that I don't understand. Here is the phrase :
"Don't up and die on me in the night, you hear ? I don't want to see your ugly black face hankering over me."
I don't get "hankering"... When I look in the dictionary it means "desire strongly"... But if it was really this then the sentence has no sens !

Thanks so much for your help !!!

Bye !

Last edited:
Hello !

I'm a literature student in France and we have this semester a literature in english class. I have a text to study (Beloved by Toni Morrison) and in an excerpt there is an expression that I'm not sure to correctly understand... Here it is :
"If you do die, just go on off somewhere where I can't see you, hear ?"
I thaught it is a repetition for "do die", but finally I'm not so sure... In the french translation that we study too, it's just translate as "go on" so I'm a bit lost...

Thanks so much for your help !!!

Bye !

The author does not want to see the person die. So the person is being asked to go away from the author to die -- so the author doesn't have to see it.

I think it helps to understand that "go on" and "off somewhere" are separate phrases.

Thank you first ! So how would explain it ? What does "off somewhere" means ? Is it to really make understand that she doesn't want to see her die or something like this ? Thanks again for your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back