Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "have had on decisions" mean "have suffered by decisions"? Just a guess here. Checking out "have" in dictionaries has not found me a way out.

======================
Academics across the country are dismayed. At Pennsylvania State University (Penn State), for instance, faculty published an open letter decrying the “limited amount of input faculty, staff, and graduate employees have had on decisions related to our safety.” At Georgia Tech, faculty released a similar letter saying the university’s reopening procedures “do not follow science-based evidence”—and that “no faculty, staff, or student should be coerced into risking their health and the health of their families by working … on campus when there is a remote/online equivalent.”

Source: Science
[h=1]‘Ethically troubling.’ University reopening plans put professors, students on edge[/h][FONT=&quot]By Jyoti MadhusoodananJul. 20, 2020[/FONT]
https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/...-reopening-plans-put-professors-students-edge

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Does "have had on decisions" mean "have suffered by decisions"?
No.

faculty published an open letter decrying the limited amount of input which [faculty, staff, and graduate employees] have had on decisions
Do you understand it now? [I added the writing in blue to try and make it clearer]

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

OK. Now I understand it as "We (
faculty, staff, and graduate employees) have received limited information about the decisions (related to our safety) (And so we don't know how to sufficently protect ourselves from the pandemic on campus)." Am I on the right track?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It might make more sense if you say regarding or concerning instead of on:

. . . [F]aculty published an open letter decrying the "limited amount of input [they] have had regarding decisions. . . ."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Reduce the problem sentence to this:

Faculty published a letter decrying the amount of input they have had on decisions. Is it clear now?

Please try this exercise with future problem sentences before you post them. Remove every possible adjective and adverb and every parenthetical clause. Reduce every list to a single item.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now I understand it as "We (faculty, staff, and graduate employees) have received limited information about the decisions (related to our safety) (And so we don't know how to sufficently protect ourselves from the pandemic on campus)." Am I on the right track?

Not information about, but input on.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not information about, but input on.

If so, what is the definition for "input"? I understood it as "information received".

Here is a definition from a dictionary:
input: contribution of information, ideas, etc.:[uncountable]Before making a decision we need your input.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If so, what is the definition for "input"? I understood it as "information received".

Here is a definition from a dictionary:
input: contribution of information, ideas, etc.:[uncountable]Before making a decision we need your input.

If it meant "information received", the definition would start with "receipt/reception of ...".

If I am upset at the lack of input I had on something, it means that I don't feel that I was able/allowed to express my opinion or state my thoughts and ideas on it before it was done. In the original, the faculty are angry that decisions were made on safety without (in their opinion) enough of them (the faculty) being able or allowed to give their ideas or opinions.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
input = contributions (ideas/suggestions) from different people/entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.