[Grammar] He is an English teacher.(English here defines origin of the teacher not the subject)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear all,
This is not my homework.

I have come to know that if I write - "He is an English teacher.", it tells me about the nationality of the teacher rather than the subject taught by him. I also come to know that if I want to tell that the person whom I am talking about teaches English, then I should write:- "He is the teacher of English".

Therefore following should be true:-
"He is a Russian teacher" means the teacher is Russian in origin.
"He is a Japanese teacher" means the teacher is Japanese in origin.

So the question is, will the same logic work in the sentence given below also?
"He is an Urdu teacher."
Does the above sentence mean that the teacher is the Muslim or it means the teacher teaches Urdu?

Is the question mark in above sentence correctly used?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your understanding is not correct. "He is a Russian teacher" is potentially ambiguous; it can mean either "He is a teacher who is Russian" or "He is a teacher of the Russian language." However, in actual use it will almost always mean the latter -- he teaches Russian.

I know of Urdu only as the name of a language, but if it can also refer to an ethnicity, the same potential ambiguity applies.

Don't write "He is the teacher of English." It isn't natural. You can use the indefinite article though: "He is a teacher of English."

The question mark in the final question is correct, but you should write a Muslim.

Don't include sentence-ending punctuation in a quoted sentence unless it also ends the sentence in which it's quoted.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Kindly explain "Don't include sentence-ending punctuation in a quoted sentence unless it also ends the sentence in which it's quoted." a little bit more.

Please tell me is it right to use "He is an English teacher" for a teacher who is not English in origin and teaches English.
Is the full stop in the above sentence correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have [STRIKE]come to know[/STRIKE] learned that if I write [no hyphen] "He is an English teacher", it tells me about the nationality of the teacher rather than the subject taught by him.

Kindly explain "Don't include sentence-ending punctuation in a quoted sentence unless it also ends the sentence in which it's quoted." a little bit more.
That sentence contains a quoted sentence. You included that sentence's final punctuation, a period ("full stop" in BrE), but the sentence containing the quote continues. You should not have included that period in the quotation.

Please tell me is it right to use "He is an English teacher" for a teacher who is not English in origin and teaches English.
Is the full stop in the above sentence correct?
The period/full stop is correct, and it's right to use "He is an English teacher" for a person from any country who teaches English.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

The 'ambiguity' comes from the fact that, in English, the same word is used as a noun to describe the name of the language, and as an adjective to describe the natives of the country. The natural way to talk about a language teacher is the same as the way we talk about a teacher of anything else. A maths / physics / French teacher.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note that the ambiguity is not present in speech—the two senses being intoned differently.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Regarding your statement "Don't include sentence-ending punctuation in a quoted sentence unless it also ends the sentence in which it's quoted", please tell me if I have written the following sentences correctly or not.

He said to him, no space"how are you no question mark".

Should "H" be capital?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Regarding your statement "Don't include sentence-ending punctuation in a quoted sentence unless it also ends the sentence in which it's quoted", please tell me if I have written the following sentences correctly or not.

He said to him, no space"how are you no question mark".

Should "H" be capital?

The H should be capitalized because it's the first letter of the first word of the quoted sentence. Because the quoted sentence ends the sentence it's embedded in, you should include its final punctuation mark and let it end the whole mess: He asked him, "How are you?"

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What about the sentences given below?

He said, "Are you out of your mind?".
He said, "Are you out of your mind?"
He said, "Are you out of your mind".
He said, "Are you out of your mind."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

He said, "Are you out of your mind?". :cross:
He said, "Are you out of your mind?" :tick:
He said, "Are you out of your mind". :cross:
He said, "Are you out of your mind." :cross:

See above.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please be patient and tell me which of the following is correct. (I hope that I have correctly used period in the previous sentence.)

He said, "Life is beautiful.".
He said, "Life is beautiful."
He said, "Life is beautiful".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

He said, "Are you out of your mind?".
He said, "Are you out of your mind?"
He said, "Are you out of your mind".
He said, "Are you out of your mind."

For the record, I would teach you to use only the first. For me, the second is incomplete. The third and fourth lack a question mark. The comma is not necessary.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
With 'asked' instead of 'said', and without the comma, for me, #2 (if you had helpfully numbered them) has sufficient punctuation, and represents the way such examples are punctuated in books I read published in both the UK and the USA.

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What about these?

He said, "Life is beautiful.".
He said, "Life is beautiful."
He said, "Life is beautiful".

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
He said, "Life is beautiful.". Incorrect.
He said, "Life is beautiful." Correct in the US.
He said, "Life is beautiful". Correct in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.