Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the sentence "her hunch had paid off", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

“I too ended up going to the movies that day.”
“You don’t say.”
There it was again. Mock-rebuke—like someone suddenly slipping an arm under yours as you’re walking together. It was her way of saying that her hunch had paid off. I would remember this. On Christmas Day in the year of our Lord such-and-such—how I liked that beginning. It went with the snow outside the theater, with the light haze around traffic lights down Broadway, with everyone shivering in line, eagerly awaiting My Night at Maud’s.

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Second Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. The next day, Clara unexpectedly appears in front of the movie theatre to meet the protagonist. So they together go to the movies.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
What would it mean that her "hunch" had "paid off"...? o_O

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last edited:

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@teechar and @Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the comments and the link.
Have you looked up "hunch" and "pay off" in the dictionary?
www.onelook.com
Yes, actually, I looked them up, but I couldn't be sure what it means that "hunch (=gut feeling/intuitive feeling)" can "pay off (=results in benefits/yields benefits)", so I just wanted to ask you.
Probably it might be an expression to mean that her gut feeling was successful, but I am not sure how it can yield profits... o_O

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There doesn't have to be a benefit or profit (I'm not even sure where you got the latter from). It simply means that her hunch was correct.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@emsr2d2,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Oh, so it means that her gut feeling was correct!

There doesn't have to be a benefit or profit (I'm not even sure where you got the latter from).
Actually, I looked it up in this dictionary and found this meaning... But I guess I was looking at a wrong entry. :p

pay off​

to yield profits; to result in benefits. My investment in those stocks has really paid off. The time I spent in school paid off in later years.

But then I guess "pay off" here means "to be successful". "to bring the results someone wants".

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Coffee Break Only if it means she got it right. (Her hunch was correct.)

Status
Not open for further replies.