[Grammar] How do I get to (the) Costco Department Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. How do I get to Costco Department Store?
2. How do I get to the Costco Department Store?

Which of the above sentences is correct?

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'd just ask How do I get to Costco, please?
Do you use "the" before the proper name of a department store?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why have you capitalised Department Store?

Do you mean that Costco Department Store is the full name of the store? I find that very unlikely. I think you mean that the name is Costco and 'department store' is what it is. If that is the case, see 5jj's suggestion in post #2.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. How do I get to Costco Department Store?
2. How do I get to the Costco Department Store?

Which of the above sentences is correct?

Either would be understood.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That sounds a bit Four Yorkshiremen as a department store. My mum shopped there too.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you use "the" before the proper name of a department store?

NOT A TEACHER

Sitifan, here in Los Angeles, we used to have two very popular department stores with "the" in their titles.

Back in those days, I might have written something like "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at The/the Broadway," but never "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at Broadway."

And I might have written something like "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at the May Company," but never "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at The May Company" or "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at May Company."

"Broadway" was once the main shopping street in downtown Los Angeles; "May" was the last name of the man who bought that business.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I knew there was a Costco in the area, then I would definitely be thinking of a specific one. So asking "How do I get to the Costco?" is a perfectly fine question for me. The "the" is not part of the name, but I am asking about that particular one.

And Costco is not a department store. At least not in the traditional sense. I have never heard anyone refer to it or Sam's Club as "department stores." They are "warehouse clubs" or "big box" stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sitifan, here in Los Angeles, we used to have two very popular department stores with "the" in their titles.

Back in those days, I might have written something like "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at The/the Broadway," but never "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at Broadway."

And I might have written something like "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at the May Company," but never "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at The May Company" or "Yesterday I spent five hours shopping at May Company."

"Broadway" was once the main shopping street in downtown Los Angeles; "May" was the last name of the man who bought that business.

It's the same way up here in Sacramento. I'm always mildly surprised when I go to Home Depot and use the self-checkout cash register, which concludes the transaction by thanking me for shopping at the Home Depot. I never hear people speak of shopping at the Home Depot, even though "the" is officially part of its name. Almost everyone just speaks of shopping at Home Depot (no "the").

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The Four Yorkshiremen is a famous comedy sketch where four rich men from poor backgrounds make ridiculous claims about how poor they had been as children. The Co-op is a supermarket that was founded on cheap prices and for the benefit of working class people, so it is not like places like Harrods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKHFZBUTA4k

Status
Not open for further replies.