[Grammar] How to describe a batch of classification infomation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerimy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi all

I am not sure if the Title is correct describe what I want to ask for help. I am writing a formal report. And the below sentences I am not sure how to draft. Would you please help me. Thank you in advance.

Target sentence:
The information error for Subjects C002 (1 error), C003 (1 errors), C004 (1 errors), C005 (3 errors), C006 (3 errors), c007 (7 errors), C008(1 error)for their follow-up visit of 6 month; c0011 (2 errors),c0012(4 errors), c0013(2 errors), c0014(2 errors),c0015(2 errors), c0016(1 error)for their follow-up visit of 12month ; c0017(3 errors),c0018(3 errors),c0019(1 error)for the follow-up visit of 18 month, were not been corrected.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The following errors for subjects have not been corrected: C002 (1 error), C003 (1), C004 (1).
For 6-month follow up: C0011 (2), C0012 (4), etc.
For 12-month follow-up: C0017(3) ...

There are other ways, but what you have is almost unreadable.

jerimy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following errors for subjects have not been corrected: C002 (1 error), C003 (1), C004 (1).
For 6-month follow up: C0011 (2), C0012 (4), etc.
For 12-month follow-up: C0017(3) ...

There are other ways, but what you have is almost unreadable.
Thank you Raymott. So can I retype the sentence as below(it looks a lot of colon":")?

The following errors for subjects have not been corrected: for 6 month follow-up :C002 (1 error), C003 (1), C004 (1), for 6-month follow up: C0011 (2), C0012 (4), for 12-month follow-up: C0017(3).

It seems weird.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would not try to type it continuously in a paragraph. What sort of document is it?
Yes, it's a lot of colons if you want to write it all in one sentence. That's not what I've suggested. In fact, it would be better tabulated.

jerimy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would not try to type it continuously in a paragraph. What sort of document is it?
Yes, it's a lot of colons if you want to write it all in one sentence. That's not what I've suggested. In fact, it would be better tabulated.

Thank you. A form will be perfect. But this data will be inputted into a system that only allow sentence. So do you have any suggestion? or how to describe in several simple sentence would be looked as a little bit formal?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Lists of figures are best presented in a table form. It allows you to view everything at a glance and make comparisons which your type of list cannot. I do not think there is a rule to say that you cannot have tables in your report.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. A form [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be perfect but this data will be inputted into a system that only allows/accepts sentences. So do you have any suggestions? [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] could I describe it in several simple sentences so that it would [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]looked[/STRIKE] look [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] a little bit formal?

I can't imagine why anyone would design a system which accepts only long lines of information like sentences. If it's a document into which you are expected to put data like that, it really needs to be either a spreadsheet or a plain Word document into which you can type lists.

If you absolutely have to write the information as you have shown, then just follow Raymott's example.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've given my suggestion. Maybe someone can improve on it.
But I'm intrigued about your 'system'. If it can parse sentences, it should be able to parse paragraphs. On the other hand, if it's not human, it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as the machine understands the syntax.

Crossposted.

jerimy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much! Hope you all have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.