Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
- 03:25. I hear he does not pronounce r in brought. Is it true?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You're right. It (the "r" in "brought) is not very clear.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it might be missing altogether- the sort of mistake we make when speaking. It's very unlikely that he is sneaking in a comment about the cost of the ceremony. 💵

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it might be missing altogether- the sort of mistake we make when speaking.

I think this is precisely the kind of mistake that native speakers don't make. It's just the way he speaks.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Accidentally saying "bought" instead of "brought" is very rare. The opposite, however, is alarmingly common. You'll hear native speakers (BrE, at least) say "I brought this watermelon at the supermarket" when, of course, they mean "bought".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Accidentally saying "bought" instead of "brought" is very rare. The opposite, however, is alarmingly common. You'll hear native speakers (BrE, at least) say "I brought this watermelon at the supermarket" when, of course, they mean "bought".

Those people are not saying it accidentally. It's a language error, where they've used the wrong word.

Reactions: 5jj

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies. I didn't intend "Accidentally" to be taken as part of my comparison. I meant only the erroneous use of "brought" for "bought".

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I know that I always have to stop and think when writing either word to check that I am using the right one.