Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We say "I mistook you for someone else" so can we also say "I miswrote a word for some other word"?

So, we just have to say "I miswrote something" or "I wrote something instead of something else" or "I wrote a different word instead of the word I wanted to write".

So, we just have to say "I miswrote something," [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] "I wrote something instead of something else," or "I wrote a different word instead of the word I wanted to write."
Yes. Note my small corrections above.

How's your reading coming, Tufguy?

"I wrote a different word instead of what [STRIKE]the word[/STRIKE] I wanted [STRIKE]to write[/STRIKE]".
My version of your sentence is 23% shorter and avoids two repetitions. You could also say instead of the word I wanted. It's a little less economical and repeats a noun, but it's more precise.

Perhaps;

I made a mistake.

Or:

I used the wrong word.

I wrote a different word than I intended.

I inadvertently used the wrong word.

Last edited:
Are you talking about things like writing hear instead of here?

Yes. Note my small corrections above.

How's your reading coming, Tufguy?

I am working from home and working 12-13 hours a day. I don't have enough time. WFH is a headache.

"How is your reading coming" is it same as "How is your reading going"?

I'd say How is your reading coming on?, which would mean the same as your second question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a teacher. I just want to ask a question.

Some time ago, I asked about the mis- prefix in case of mis-sing.

Misunderstand
Mispronounce
Misplace
Mistake
Misconception
Misrepresent
Misnomer
Mismatch

There are many words that use this prefix, and I've heard many makeshift words with it from native speakers. Whether the person will understand what you mean depends on the person.

I liked ems's reply.

It looks really odd. However, I sing in an a capella choir and if someone said to me "I'm really sorry. I mis-sang the second line of the third verse", I would understand exactly what they meant and I wouldn't think "Oooh, that's not a real word!"

Does miswrite fall into the group of not-real-but-ok words, with enough context to justify it?

Example:

Employee's boss: "Did you just write F* you?"
Employee: "Sorry, sir. It's the autocorrect. I miswrote Thank you."

Is "The word I wrote was not the word I wanted" correct?
Is it a cleft sentence?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back