I taught/have taught at this university before I became an interpreter.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Can both grammatical structures be used?

I … at this university before I became an interpreter.
a) taught
b) had taught

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes. Context will determine which is the right choice.

To be perhaps more precise: Context doesn't really 'determine' the choice so much as reveals why the choice was made. Choice is determined by what the speaker means.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'd say they're two different ways of putting it, but I understand what you mean.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
To be perhaps more precise: Context doesn't really 'determine' the choice so much as reveals why the choice was made. Choice is determined by what the speaker means.
What is the difference between the two? Does the second one merely put more emphasis on the fact that the teaching was done before?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
People say something to express an idea. That's their choice.

Their choice, which is based on what they want to say, along with what they want to say, provides context for what they say.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the difference between the two? Does the second one merely put more emphasis on the fact that the teaching was done before?

I think you're asking generally about the reasons a speaker may have for using the past perfect. To give you the shortest and most general answer I can give: Using the past perfect creates a meaning relation between two past events. The nature of that relation is typically (but not always) to provide some kind of background explanation.

Barque, quite rightly, is saying that you haven't provided enough context for us to know what the speaker means to say. If you want to understand these two sentences, and why the speaker chose them, you must consider them in their wider contexts. Context reveals what the speaker is trying to express.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Latvia
Thank you. You give a good explanation.
There is no context providable, as this is a question taken from a test that for some reason considers "had taken" as the only correct option.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
this is a question taken from a test that for some reason considers "had taken" as the only correct option.

I see. Well, the question is a complete failure, I'm afraid to say, and so the answer is invalid.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can both grammatical structures be used?

I … at this university before I became an interpreter.
a) taught
b) had taught
I would prefer "either" to "both".

My default choice is "taught".

If the "correct" answer is "had taught" my response is you have got to be kidding. 😲

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a standalone statement of fact, "I taught at this university before I became an interpreter" is the correct choice.
In a different context, the past perfect is possible:

Last year, I was offered a job at Pelham University. The salary was great and it's much closer to home. However, I really struggled to decide whether to accept the job. I'd taught at the university before I became an interpreter, and had really struggled to make any friends among the staff. They were all so different from me. Mind you, the same thing happened at my interpreting job so maybe I'm the problem! That's why I'm now a librarian. I don't have to talk to anyone!

(Job timeline: university, followed by interpreter, followed by librarian.)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine the reason the test claims that 'taught' is the "only" correct answer is because the test writers are focusing on maintaining verb tense. Generally you should avoid tense shifts unless there's a specific reason to shift. Without any context, there's no reason to justify using the present perfect and the simple past in one sentence.

From that perspective, only 'taught' is correct. As others have pointed out, there might well be cases where 'have taught' would be perfectly acceptable, however.

Reactions: 5jj

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If a person say “I taught at this university before I became an interpreter.” Is he still an interpreter? Or is he doing another job?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a person says “I taught at this university before I became an interpreter.” Is he still an interpreter? Or is he doing another job?

We can't determine that just from that sentence alone. He might still be an interpreter, or he might be working at another job.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a person sayS “I taught at this university before I became an interpreter.” Is he still an interpreter? Or is he doing another job?
Either is possible.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
“I'd taught at the university before I became an interpreter, and now I’m a librarian.”

Can I use “I taught” in the above sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
“I'd taught at the university before I became an interpreter, and now I’m a librarian.”

Can I use “I taught” in the above sentence?
Yes, but note that 'taught' in that sentence is a past participle, not the past tense of the verb.

'Teach' is one of those verbs which shares a past and past participle form.