[Grammar] I used to play tennis when I was a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I used to play tennis when I was a teenager.

Does the sentence above necessarily mean that I don't play tennis anymore, or could I be using "used to" because I'm not a teenager anymore?

The person played tennis as a teenager but doesn't now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the sentence above necessarily mean that I don't play tennis anymore,
Yes, "used to" implies a past habit/routine, not a present one.

or could I be using "used to" because I'm not a teenager anymore?
No. If you (as an adult now) are still playing tennis, you would not use "used to".

On the other hand, I think that, if I am still playing tennis, I could say either "I could play tennis when I was a teenager" or "I was able to play tennis when I was a teenager". Is that right?

Why would you say those? Have you considered "I played tennis as a teenager" or "I played tennis when I was a teenager"?

Why would you say those? Have you considered "I played tennis as a teenager" or "I played tennis when I was a teenager"?

I wanted to know whether there was a present implication when using "could" and "be able to". So that, if some learner said something like this, I could correct them (if necessary).

Does a sentence like "I could run fast before I put on weight" also sound strange?

No, that one is fine. It says after the person put on weight he couldn't run fast.

I wanted to know whether there was a present implication when using "could" and "be able to". So that, if some learner said something like this, I could correct them (if necessary).
There is no present implication in the quoted sentences in post #4; "when I was a teenager" puts them firmly (and solely) in the past.

Does a sentence like "I could run fast before I put on weight" also sound strange?
No, it's not strange, but how is it related to your initial question?

No, that one is fine. It says after the person put on weight he couldn't run fast.

Would it convey the same meaning as "I used to run fast...."?

On the other hand, I think that, if I am still playing tennis, I could say either "I could play tennis when I was a teenager" or "I was able to play tennis when I was a teenager". Is that right?

No. We wouldn't say we could do something if we can do it.

There is no present implication in the quoted sentences in post #4; "when I was a teenager" puts them firmly (and solely) in the past.

No, it's not strange, but how is it related to your initial question?

I'm trying to understand the difference between "used to", "could" and "was able to". As you said, sometimes they have a very similar meaning (the same?), sometimes one doesn't work. So I have to ask.

Yes, there is no present implication. Unlike "used to". That's what I meant.

Does it convey the same meaning as "I used to run fast...."?

It certainly does! If you can't run fast now because you put on weight, you had to have been able to run fast before. Otherwise the sentence makes no sense.

No. We wouldn't say we could do something if we can do it.

What if somebody told/asked me "beachboy, you play tennis very well. Could you play tennis when you were 10/when you lived in Salvador?"

What if somebody told/asked me "beachboy, you play tennis very well. Could you play tennis when you were 10/when you lived in Salvador?"

It's an odd way to ask whether you knew how to play when you were were ten. It would be more natural to ask "How old were you when you started learning?"

I agree, in the main, about "used to" being used to express something that is no longer the case but a sentence like this is perfectly possible:

I used to play tennis as a teenager, then I had back surgery and didn't play for twenty years but I've recently got back into it and I now play four times a week!

Possibly. But I might say:

I played tennis as a teenager. Then I had back surgery and couldn't play for a while. Now I am doing it again.
:up:

I used to play tennis when I was a teenager.

Does the sentence above necessarily mean that I don't play tennis anymore

No.

The key word in your question is necessarily. It does not necessarily mean that, although it is very likely that it does mean that.

, or could I be using "used to" because I'm not a teenager anymore?

No. You are not a teenager any more. If you were still a teenager, you would not say when I was a teenager.

The use of used to shows that your tennis playing was a past habit, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back