If you could inform me how much longer it would take to process my application, that would be app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please let me know whether this sentence is correct.

Context: I want to follow up with the university on my application.

"If you could inform me how much longer it would take to process my application, that would be appreciable"

Thanks

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I will appreciate it very much if you would tell me when the outcome of my application will be known.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please let me know whether this sentence is correct.

"If you could inform me how much longer it would will take to process my application, that would be appreciable appreciated."

Context: I want to follow up with the university on my application.

Thanks.
Note my changes above. Also note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at. Your question or request should appear only in the main body of your post.

Your sentence is overly wordy. I'd use the following:

Please let me know when I can expect the result of my application.

Riya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks. It was my first post. I will do it properly in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Riya I don't think there's a single university that doesn't have a website. Àlso, I am 99% certain that it says on the website how long it takes to process an application. For that reason, the email is unnecessary. However, for the purpose of improving your English the post makes sense.

It's good to be polite. It is a good thing. However, why people thank people for things they haven't done has puzzled me for years.

I notice that you have found the "like" button. (The "thank" button and the "ike" button are the same one.)

Welcome to the forum! (I assume you are not out of questions yet, which is good, because that's what I live for. 😉😊)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
why people thank people for things they haven't done has puzzled me for years.
Quite a few people here object to the anticipatory thanks. Others find it normal and natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I object to it purely on the basis that it takes up space in the post, much like opening with "Hello" or similar. It saves time for everyone if we just get straight to the point. Thank us later, once we've helped.

Riya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@Riya I don't think there's a single university that doesn't have a website. Àlso, I am 99% certain that it says on the website how long it takes to process an application. For that reason, the email is unnecessary. However, for the purpose of improving your English the post makes sense.

It's good to be polite. It is a good thing. However, why people thank people for things they haven't done has puzzled me for years.

I notice that you have found the "like" button. (The "thank" button and the "ike" button are the same one.)

Welcome to the forum! (I assume you are not out of questions yet, which is good, because that's what I live for. 😉😊)

I agree with the moderator. So this time I skip thanks and like button :)). Even though the university is having a website, I think it is worth to make a follow-up when there is no response from them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with the moderator. So this time I skip thanks and like button :)). Even though the university has a website, I think it is worth it to send a follow-up email when there is no response from them.
OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.