If you run a lot without eating enough calories you will get leaner than needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If you run a lot without eating enough calories you will get leaner than needed.

Please check my sentence.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If you run a lot and eat a little, you will become thin.

You don't eat calories.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, ted, but we do refer to eating or consuming calories.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you say you eat calories?

Yes (as I said in post #3).

I don't understand why I can't lose weight. I eat fewer than 1400 calories a day.
If you want to gain weight, you're going to have to consume more calories.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is not a question of English but one of logic.

Calorie is a unit of energy. We eat food to gain energy/calories to do physical activities. Do we say we eat energy?

Consuming calories sounds better as it is like consuming energy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Eating more food doesn't necessarily equate to eating more calories. It all depends on what you eat.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes (as I said in post #3).

I don't understand why I can't lose weight. I eat fewer than 1400 calories a day.
If you want to gain weight, you're going to have to consume more calories.

If you don't loose weight you need to excercise. Only eating fewer calories won't help you. It will make you weak instead of fit. Try eating egg whites. It will make you feel full and you will be taking fewer calories as well. You don't have to calculate calories at all. Don't calculate calories eat healthy and exercise. I wanna start running but I am a bit scared to go running be ause I don't want to put my mother's health at stake.

Is my sentence correct in post one?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If [STRIKE]you don't loose[/STRIKE] you're not losing weight, you need to [STRIKE]excercise[/STRIKE] exercise.

[STRIKE]Only[/STRIKE] Just/Simply eating fewer calories won't help you.

It will make you weak instead of fit.

Try eating egg whites. [STRIKE]It[/STRIKE]

They will make you feel full and you will be [STRIKE]taking[/STRIKE] eating/consuming/getting fewer calories as well.

You don't have to calculate calories at all. Don't calculate calories - eat healthy and exercise.

I [STRIKE]wanna[/STRIKE] want to start running but I am a bit scared to go running because I don't want to put my mother's health at [STRIKE]stake[/STRIKE] risk.

Is my sentence in post #1 correct? [STRIKE]in post one?[/STRIKE]

I'll answer your final question first - the end of your original sentence isn't natural. I might say "If you run a lot but you don't eat enough [calories], you'll become thinner than you should/than is healthy".

As far as the rest of your post goes, please note my multiple corrections. Other readers, please note that (as far as I'm aware) tufguy is not a nutritionist or a dietician - his advice should be taken with that in mind. I have taken it purely as an exercise in writing in English. Also note that the two sentences I wrote in post #6 were not intended to be taken seriously (or as any kind of comment on my lifestyle!) I wrote them simply to demonstrate that we do use "eat/consume calories".

One final question - how on earth would your taking up running put your mother's health at risk?

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'll answer your final question first - the end of your original sentence isn't natural. I might say "If you run a lot but you don't eat enough [calories], you'll become thinner than you should/than is healthy".

As far as the rest of your post goes, please note my multiple corrections. Other readers, please note that (as far as I'm aware) tufguy is not a nutritionist or a dietician - his advice should be taken with that in mind. I have taken it purely as an exercise in writing in English. Also note that the two sentences I wrote in post #6 were not intended to be taken seriously (or as any kind of comment on my lifestyle!) I wrote them simply to demonstrate that we do use "eat/consume calories".

One final question - how on earth would your taking up running put your mother's health at risk?

I will come back home after running and if I get infected than obviously my mother will get infected as well although I will be going running early in the morning at around 4 AM when the park is empty. People start coming at around 6 AM so I think it is not risky to go running at 4 AM(I will be wearing the mask as well. I have to sprint so I don't know whether I will be able to do it wearing the mask effectively) Am I correct? Is there anyone who can clear my doubt(anyone with medical background?)? My abs are gone ��. I have been eating a lot without exercise so I have to go running. I have had enough of this now.

People also do yoga here. I see an old couple who perform yoga daily on their roof early in the morning and they have great immunity but I am more into lifting. Gyms are closed as well and it is rather risky to go to gym at this time.

Please check my sentences as well.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]I will come back home after running and[/STRIKE] If I get infected while I'm running, [STRIKE]than[/STRIKE] then obviously my mother [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would get infected as well when I get home, although I will be going running [STRIKE]early in the morning[/STRIKE] at around [STRIKE]4 AM[/STRIKE] 4am when the park is empty.

People start coming at around [STRIKE]6 AM[/STRIKE] 6am so I think it is not risky to go running at [STRIKE]4 AM[/STRIKE] 4am.

No bracket here I will be wearing [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a mask as well. I have to sprint so I don't know whether I will be able to do it wearing the mask effectively. No bracket here

Am I correct? Is there anyone who can clear up my doubts space here (anyone with medical background?)? My abs are gone. [STRIKE]��.[/STRIKE]

I have been eating a lot without [STRIKE]exercise[/STRIKE] exercising so I have to go running. I have had enough of this now.

People also do yoga here. I see an old couple who perform yoga daily on their roof early in the morning and they have great immunity but I am more into lifting.

Gyms are closed as well and it is rather risky to go to gym at this time. This sentence is illogical. If the gyms are closed, then it makes no difference whether it is risky to go there or not. It's impossible to go there.

Please check my sentences. [STRIKE]as well.[/STRIKE]

Note my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above. Thank you for explaining what you meant - it wasn't clear that you were referring to the risk to your mother's health purely based on your leaving the house. I thought you specifically meant that you going running would be a risk.

I don't have a medical background but I know that the advice here is that people should not wear masks when exercising.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above. Thank you for explaining what you meant - it wasn't clear that you were referring to the risk to your mother's health purely based on your leaving the house. I thought you specifically meant that you going running would be a risk.

I don't have a medical background but I know that the advice here is that people should not wear masks when exercising.

Why did you change "Will" to "Would" in the first sentence? Is it because of the uncertainity that she would be infected or not?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why did you change "Will" to "Would" in the first sentence? Is it because of the uncertainity that she would be infected or not?

I'd change it to "could". Even people who live with an infected person have a significant chance of escaping infection. I recently saw that the risk of infection in these cases is something like 30%.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was sticking with your apparent certainty that it would happen. However, in reality, like GoesStation, I would use "could" or "might". There is no guarantee that someone will be infected by someone else in their household.

Status
Not open for further replies.