I'm playing (in) a concert at the church hall next weekend.

I’d say it’s obligatory.
At one point, I had the audacity to think I could play a perfect concert. (my bold)
Is there any difference in meaning between "play a concert" and "play in a concert"?

Last edited:
Is he a native English-speaker?

I’d say ‘… give a perfect recital.’

As a solo performer, I'd still say '... give a recital'. As a member of an orchestra, I'd say ' ... play in a concert'.

Is there any difference in meaning between "play a concert" and "play in a concert"?

There certainly is, yes. Think about it and tell us what you think Yo-Yo Ma means.

There certainly is, yes. Think about it and tell us what you think Yo-Yo Ma means.
As a solo performer, '... play a concert'. As a member of an orchestra, ' ... play in a concert'.

As a solo performer, '... play a concert'. As a member of an orchestra, ' ... play in a concert'.

Good, though it's not essential that he has to be playing solo. It could mean that he's a leading instrumentalist.

When Yo-Yo says 'play a perfect concert', he's think of the concert as the music itself. He's talking about playing the music perfectly.

When Yo-Yo says 'play a perfect concert', he's think of the concert as the music itself. He's talking about playing the music perfectly.
A typo?

Back