Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Ross is defending for victim:

Ross: Government calls Corporal Raymond Thomas.
Kaffee: Please the court, I understand Captain Ross is planning to call all the members of the platoon to testify.
Ross: In light of the defense Kaffee is planning, the platoon leader's instructions seems relevant testimony.

What does "In light of the defense Kaffee is planning" mean?
My Guess: Because of what your defense will be, we do need to hear from the platoon and especially the platoon leader in order to attack that defense.

Source: A Few Good Men (a 1992 American legal drama film was adapted for the screen by Aaron Sorkin from his 1989 play of the same name)

That's right. American trials are conducted according to strict protocols. Ross appears to be a prosecutor, not a defense attorney.

That's right, yes.

Your posts make me feel as if I'm vicariously watching all these films again.

Are you slowly building up to a question asking what YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! means? :)

That's right, yes.
Are you slowly building up to a question asking what YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! means? :)

you said I am right. I didn't understand. Kaffee can't handle the truth?

It's one of my favourite films so I'm also enjoying these threads. If you didn't recognise the "can't handle the truth" line, I guess you haven't watched the film all the way to the end yet. Spoiler alert!

I didn't understand. Kaffee can't handle the truth?

If you didn't recognise the "can't handle the truth" line, I guess you haven't watched the film all the way to the end yet. Spoiler alert!

Sorry, Mike. I thought you'd finished watching it.

(Do we still need to issue spoiler warnings to films that are 30 years old? It's not exactly a spoiler anyway—just a very well known line.)

Three things. One, I don't understand that first sentence at all. (Ross is clearly the prosecutor. Also, if he were the defense attorney he would be defending the accused, not the victim.) Two, say "The government calls...." Three, it's "If it pleases the court...."

(Do we still need to issue spoiler warnings to films that are 30 years old?)
Yes please. I've never seen it, and you all say it's a fine film so I'm looking out for it being shown again sometime.

Mike, you'll be interested to know that a member of WordReference is asking similar questions about this film. [link]

It might be some problem on my work computer, but that link takes me to an error page.

No it's the one in Piscean's #14 which lists all of Jeff Jacob's posts.

They are different from Mike's questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back