Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As I read a book regarding the optimization of algorithms, I ask myself - "What is an algorithm?" while knowing that it involves a set of mathematical expressions, and I reply to myself "a set of rules that must be followed in order to solve a particular problem", which uses an "in order to solve" structure.

It turns out that Oxford Dictionary defines it as "a set of rules that must be followed when solving a particular problem", which uses a "when solving" sturcture.

Now I have a hard time to figure out whether the two definitions have the same idea and whether they are interchangeable. If different, what is the difference in grammar or rhetoric? If worse, the former might not be workable. Then why?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I read a book regarding the optimization of algorithms, I asked myself - "What is an algorithm?" while knowing that it involves a set of mathematical expressions, and I reply to myself "a set of rules that must be followed in order to solve a particular problem", which uses an "in order to solve" structure.

It turns out that Oxford Dictionary defines it as "a set of rules that must be followed when solving a particular problem", which uses a "when solving" structure.

Now I have a hard time trying to figure out whether the two definitions have the same idea and whether they are interchangeable. If different, what is the difference in grammar or rhetoric?
Although phrased differently, in my humble opinion the two definitions mean the same thing.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
If worse, the former might not be workable.
I haven't understood what you mean by this. Do you mean "What's worse" (which can work as a statement here)? Why do you think it might not be workable?

Then why?
Or this.

in order to solve a particular problem
... for the purpose of solving a particular problem.
when solving a particular problem
... in the course of solving a particular problem.

In effect, they're the same as Tarheel says.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "worse" sentence doesn't make sense to me at all. It does not go with the sentence that came before. You might use "worse" when talking about two bad things. (See below.)

Ed: I'm afraid Bob's going to get fired soon. He's really bad at his job
Ned: Yes, but Jim is worse

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The "worse" sentence doesn't make sense to me at all. It does not go with the sentence that came before. You might use "worse" when talking about two bad things. (See below.)

Ed: I'm afraid Bob's going to get fired soon. He's really bad at his job
Ned: Yes, but Jim is worse

Before getting answers from here, the situation was less clear, which led to the supposed comparison: (1) Oxford's definition is good, (2)Mine's bad, (3) Or/if worse (if the case is worse than (2)). 🙂

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Oxford's definition is good. Mine is not so good.

I am not doing a good job of making my point, but I suppose I could be doing worse.
😉

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You can say "I ask myself" but I find "I reply to myself" a bit strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.