Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

If I can usethe present progressive, the present simple, going to and will when talking about future can I also use them in questions? This example is from English File. It says use the correct form of these verbs. Use either the present continuous, the present simple, be going to, wiil, past simple, or present perfect.
1. Is your son going to learn to drive next year?
2. Is your son learning to drive next year?
3. Will your son learn to drive next year?
4. Does your son learn to drive next year?
I don't think this one is possible.
5. Will your son learn to drive next year?

(4) Yes, it could be used if referring to scheduled driving lessons and if the person (son) was to be included in any of the sessions.

You can.

All are possible. #4 is not very likely, but it could be said in some contexts.

If 'will' expresses certainty in statements, what does it express in questions? In #3.

'Will' can suggest either certainty or volition - in both affirmative and interrogative sentences.

It is difficult to say what was in a speaker's mind when they use one particular way of expressing the future if we are presented with just one sentence and no context.

The exercise also gives present perfect as an opion. Would it be possible to use the present perfect in any of them? I don't think so. I don't think even future perfect is possible. Only if we add 'by' with next year.

The exercise also gives present perfect as an option. Would it be possible to use the present perfect in any of them? I don't think so. I don't think even future perfect is possible. Only if we add 'by' with next year.

Did the exercise give an example or what would be yours?

Did the exercise give an example or what would be yours?

It lists different tenses and asks to use the correct form. Present perfect is not possible but with the future perfect is this sentence possible? 'will your son have learnt how to drive by next year?'

'Will your son have learnt (how to) drive by next year?'

Its possible.

One more question, if you please. You said 'will' expresses 'volition' as in 'I will travel next year'='I want to travel next year.' And if I am asking 'Will you travel next year?' means 'Do you want to travel next year?'

Is there any reason why the question in your title didn't appear anywhere in your post?

'I will travel next year' does not mean 'I want to travel next year'.

Look up 'volition' in a couple of dictionaries at www.onelook.com.

I used the link you shared in my one of my previous posts. There is an example 'Emma will see Luke tomorrow.' It says it either means she is willing to see Luke(the speaker thinks so) or the speaker is certain that Emma will see Luke. Without context my sentence 'I will travel next year' could mean. I am willing to travel, I am certain that I will travel, it can also refer to an instant devision. If I am wrong then I must have misunderstood the rules given in the link. If in their example the speaker is talking about someone else and expresses her willingness/volition to do something why can't I use it in the same way when talking about myself?

Is there any reason why the question in your title didn't appear anywhere in your post?

I accidentally left out 'learn to':oops:

I used the link you shared in my one of my previous posts. There is an example 'Emma will see Luke tomorrow.' It says it either means she is willing to see Luke(the speaker thinks so) or the speaker is certain that Emma will see Luke. Without context my sentence 'I will travel next year' could mean. I am willing to travel, I am certain that I will travel, it can also refer to an instant devision. If I am wrong then I must have misunderstood the rules given in the link. If in their example the speaker is talking about someone else and expresses her willingness/volition to do something why can't I use it in the same way when talking about myself?
"I have either a red ball or a blue ball in my hand". This can describe the situation in which: "I have a red ball in my hand" or "I have a blue ball in my hand".
However, "I have either a red ball or a blue ball in my hand" does not mean "I have a red ball in my hand".
I think this is what Piscean means. If not, it's true anyway.

Or he could mean "Will doesn't mean want" rather than "Will doesn't necessarily mean want."
I note you haven't used want in your response.

"I have either a red ball or a blue ball in my hand". This can describe the situation in which: "I have a red ball in my hand" or "I have a blue ball in my hand".
However, "I have either a red ball or a blue ball in my hand" does not mean "I have a red ball in my hand".
I think this is what Piscean means. If not, it's true anyway.

Or he could mean "Will doesn't mean want" rather than "Will doesn't necessarily mean want."
I note you haven't used want in your response.

'Volition' only as in offering help. Right? In such standard phrases as 'I will carry your bag'. I thought if it says 'volition' it can be used in different situations. 'I will travel =I want to travel.' I also thought so after reading an explanation of 'will' in the article that Piscean shared. It says 'Emma will see Luke tomorrow' the speaker is either certain or thinks that she is willing to meet him.

Last edited:
I will go to the grocery store tomorrow.

The above sentence doesn't mean I want to go. It means I intend to go.

I will go to the grocery store tomorrow.

The above sentence doesn't mean I want to go. It means I intend to go.

Then why does it say in the article that the speaker is reporting that 'Emma is willing to see him.' Or that that speaker is certain she will meet him. In the same way, why can't we say about your sentence that it could mean 'you are willing to go', in 'I will travel' I am willing to travel or expressing certainty 'I will travel'?

'I am willing to do something' does not mean the same as 'I want to do something'.

I understood 'volition' and 'willingness' to mean 'want'. I was wrong. Got it. Thus, 1. For offers=volition. 'Will' is used.
2. 'I will travel. I am stating (depending on context) that I am willing to travel. Or I am certain that I will travel. Right?

I will travel can suggest, depending on context

I am willing to travel
I am offering to travel
I promise to travel
I insist on travelling
It is a characteristic of mine that I travel
There is a certainty of my future travelling

etc.

There is simply no point in trying to pin down the 'meaning' of a context-free utterance.

Most of the time there is no context in exercises and there is more than one possible answer. If the time isn't mentioned would the simple present be possible in this sentence, again if talking about a timetable? 'Do you meet your sister's new boyfriend?' Instead of 'Are you meeting your sister's new boyfriend?' 'Are you going to meet your sister's new boyfriend?'
In some of my sentences it was not possible. In 'What does your daughter do tonight?' It wasn't.
But in 'Does your son learn how to drive next year?' It was possible.

If the time isn't mentioned would the simple present be possible in this sentence, again if talking about a timetable? 'Do you meet your sister's new boyfriend?' Instead of 'Are you meeting your sister's new boyfriend?' or 'Are you going to meet your sister's new boyfriend?'
It's possible in an unlikely context involving a habitual event with the new boyfriend.

"Does your son learn to drive next year?" is not correct.

I'd missed Piscean's post (I've seen it now). I can't think of a context in which I would use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back