Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Today someone shared a picture in a chat room and the sentence in the picture goes like "Had a date tonight. I really enjoyed it. Tomorrow I'll try a fig".

Someone didn't understand and he asked "a fig"? I then replied to him "date=fruit, fig=fruit" and I went on explaining:

It's called a homophone or something. It might be funny but depends on how many words you know and how deeply you understand the culture.

Is the above italic sentence natural?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Today someone shared a picture in a chat room, and the caption read, "Had a date tonight. I really enjoyed it. Tomorrow I'll try a fig".

Someone didn't understand and he asked, "A fig?" I [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] replied [STRIKE]to him[/STRIKE], "A date is a fruit, a fig is a fruit," and I went on to explain, "It's called a homophone or something. It might be funny but depends on how many words you know and how deeply you understand the culture."

Is the above italic sentence natural?
Technically, yes, a date (the fruit) and date (the activity) are homophones — different words that sound the same. I would just tell him it's called it a pun.

Put quotation marks around all direct verbatim quotations. Do not use quotation marks if you're paraphrasing.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much appreciated, jutfrank and CB.

I have an issue with this bit. I think you mean: Whether you find it funny ...

"It's called a homophone or something. Whether you find it funny depends on how many words you know and how deeply you understand the culture."

Are the whole sentences okay now?

Status
Not open for further replies.