Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last night in an English club, a group of people talked about a recent film which went viral within only 10 days after it had released in mainland China. Some asked me what the film about and I said:

It's a story about a killer, Chen, who's wanted by the police but later who has found that he had been deliberately ignored by the police when turned himself in. Chen later has known that he is only the third in the rank of the wanting list, ahead of him are two much-more-atrocious murders. He then decides to kill those two people in order to be remembered. He succeeded finally but also got capital punishment himself. I know killing people is undoutedly wrong but I don't know why I cried when watching Chen's death.

Some explanation about the context of the film: Chen is a gang member and he killed people so he's been wanted by the police. Then he one day turned himself in to the police because the doctor told him that he had gotten cancer. When he went to police station, he was irritated because the police asked him to wait in line if he wanted to turn himself in. He thought he was a "somebody" because he killed people. Later he noticed that the police were focusing on pursuing another two murders in the wanting list, these two people rank 1 and 2 because of their atrocious acts. He then decided to kill these two people.

I don't know which tense to use here but I remember it's okay to use the present tense when talking about the plot of a film.

Please help me with the italic paragraph with a natural version.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Last night in at an English club, a group of people talked about a recent film which went viral within only 10 days after it had released of its release in mainland China. Someone asked me what the film about and I said:

It's a story about a killer, Chen, who's wanted by the police but is later who has found that he had been deliberately ignored by the police when he turned turns himself in. Chen later has known finds out that he is only the third in the rank of the wanting list most wanted; ahead of him are two much-more-atrocious far more violent murderers. He then decides to kill those two people in order to be remembered. He succeeded finally succeeds but also got capital punishment himself gets the death penalty. I know killing people is undoubtedly wrong but I don't know why I cried when watching Chen's death.

Some explanation about the context of the film: Chen is a gang member and he who killed people so he's been wanted by the police. Then he One day, he turned himself in to the police because the doctor told him that he had gotten he had found out that he had cancer. When he went to police station, he was irritated because the police asked him to wait in line if he wanted to turn himself in. He thought he was a "somebody" because he had killed people. Later he noticed that the police were focusing on pursuing another two murderers in the wanting wanted list; these two people were ranked 1 and 2 because of their atrocious acts. He then decided to kill these two people.

I don't know which tense to use here but I remember it's okay to use the present tense when talking about the plot of a film.

Please help me with the italic paragraph with a natural version.
See above.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much appreciated, emsr2d2.

I still have some questions about the corrected version:

It's a story about a killer, Chen, who's wanted by the police but is later deliberately ignored by the police when he turns himself in. Chen later finds out that he is only the third most wanted; ahead of him are two far more violent murderers. He then decides to kill those two people in order to be remembered. He succeeds but gets the death penalty. I know killing people is undoubtedly wrong but I cried when watching Chen's death.
I'm sorry for not providing enough context. I actually just watched the videos about this film online instead of going to the cinema to watch it myself.

He is wanted by the police because of committing crimes. Then when he goes to police station to turn himself in, a police officer asks him to line up. He is irritated because he thought he should be treated importantly and the police should know him. He then finds out the reason because there are two criminals ahead of him.

I still have some questions about the highlighted parts:

There are two "by the police" in the first sentence. Will the second one sound redundant? One will only turn himself in at the police station. I also wonder if it'll be better to leave out the first "later" because I used two "later"s in the paragraph.

Much appreciated!

P.S.: I actually asked one of my friends this question but I've asked him many questions about that. I feel guilty if I keep doing that.

Last edited: