Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It is not clear for me how "glottal stop" works there at 07:04-07:06 [
]. Is "ta" not pronounced in "I've gotta pee" as glottal stop?

In the first of these two versions, he pronounces a /t/' in the second, he uses a glottal stop.

Last edited:
In the firstof these two versions, he pronounces a /t/' in the second, he uses a glottal stop.
I am a little bit confused. He speaks in the way that I hear I go..pee. So it seems like /t/ in "got "and "to" are both dropped - I don't hear them both. Can you please clarify?

I agree, @svetlana14 . He omits the v sound after I and substitutes a glottal stop for the t. Both of these phenomena are common in AmE speech as well as in BrE.

I agree, @svetlana14 . He omits the v sound after I and substitutes a glottal stop for the t. Both of these phenomena are common in AmE speech as well as in BrE.
What's about "ta"? I hear as for the British phenomena like "I go.....pee so I hear I go[tta] pee. Right? In other words, glottal stops here gets the whole (t and ta) omitted. Right? Or "ta" is kept but is pronounced so silent that I can hardly catch it?

A glottal stop is a tiny silence. Is that what you mean?

A glottal stop is a tiny silence. Is that what you mean?
As far as the British varian concerns, in one case he pronounces I gotta pee so that I hear all the words clear. In the second case, I hear kind of I go [silent] pee.

That's exactly what I hear too.

As far as the British varian concerns, in one case he pronounces I gotta pee so that I hear all the words clear. In the second case, I hear kind of I go [silent] pee.
Now I got it. Gotta is the same case as in "butter" with T-glottalising.

By the way, you should have written: as far as the British variant is concerned ...

That's exactly what I hear too.
To be more accurate, there is barely audible "ah" sound in the end of "gotta" as the realization of glottal stop.

/ˈɡɒtə/ become a kind of /g? ah OR ə/. Correct?

The /t/ is silent, but there is a /ə/ after the glottal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back