Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
What kind of objects are commonly found around the home that help people to avoid injuries?

"There are a lot of them. Like kitchen gloves that/which we use to prevent cuts and burns. Apron that/which we use to keep our cloths clean. One of the things that's become very popular here these days is auto power cut off circuits that/which cut off the power whenever there's a problem."

It's a question from an IELTS exam and this was my answer (I know it's a bad answer). I'm confused between 'that' and 'which.' Help!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What was your answer?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What kind of objects are commonly found around the home that help people to avoid injuries?

"There are a lot of them, like kitchen gloves, which we use to prevent cuts and burns, and aprons, which we use to keep our clothes clean. One of the things that's become very popular here these days is auto-power cut-off circuits, which turn appliances off whenever there's a problem."

It's a question from an IELTS exam and this was my answer (I know it's a bad answer). I'm confused between 'that' and 'which.' Help!
In American English, we use "that" in dependent clauses and "which" after independent clauses. Notice the commas. No commas would be needed if those were dependent clauses.

You might want to review dependent and independent clauses.

Don't use words you're defining in their definitions, as in "auto power cut off circuits . . . cut off the power."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What was your answer?
Let's assume the answer is the part in quotation marks. The question is about whether to use "that" or "which."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard of gloves that are designed to stop people cutting themselves in the kitchen. The gloves we use to avoid burning our hands when taking things out of the oven are called "oven gloves" (BrE).

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of gloves that are designed to stop people cutting themselves in the kitchen. The gloves we use to avoid burning our hands when taking things out of the oven are called "oven gloves" (BrE).
Actually, I've seen ads for safety gloves that prevent cuts, but I've never seen a pair.

In the U.S., your oven gloves are our oven mitts.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've seen butchers wearing chainmail gloves on the hand which is not wielding the knife. They look positively medieval. But apparently there are also cut-proof gloves for home use. They are made of washable textiles from synthetic fibres.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
In American English, we use "that" in dependent clauses and "which" after independent clauses. Notice the commas. No commas would be needed if those were dependent clauses.

You might want to review dependent and independent clauses.

Don't use words you're defining in their definitions, as in "auto power cut off circuits . . . cut off the power."
Thank you. I'll look up dependent and independent clauses and come back if I need further clarification.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Also, please do some research about "restrictive/nonrestrictive clauses".

Status
Not open for further replies.