Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

I am sharing my opinion about why it is important to learn English. It's written as advice/opinion I think most of my sentences sound unnatural because I word them in the exact same way I use them in my own language.
I would be very grateful to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Version 1 As much as possible a student should read articles or watch videos in a foreign language. English is not as difficult as some other languages. A knowledge of English is always a good point in everyone's biography. It is difficult to maintain English at a good level if it is not necessary to use it regularly. But for today the Internet gives such opportunity.

Vetsion 2. My corrections: A student should read as many articles as possible or watch videos in a foreign language. English is not as difficult as some other languages. A knowledge of English is always an advantage. It is difficult to maintain English at a good level if it is not necessary to use it regularly. But today the Internet gives such opportunity.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello, Anna232.

You haven't said anything about why it is important to learn English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would say it's relatively subjective. That is, for some people it's important to learn English, but for others it's not important at all

I think you mean "résumé" -- not "biography".

Last edited by a moderator:

Anna232

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello, Anna232.

You haven't said anything about why it is important to learn English.
I think because it is an international language. It's a very popular language here:)

Anna232

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would say it's relatively subjective. That is, for some people it's important to learn English, but for others it's not important at all

I think you mean "resume" -- not "biography".
Is the rest of my paragraph correct? I mean the second corrected version. I am not sure about "a knowledge of English" and "such opportunity".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's important because it is an international language. It's a very popular language here. :)
Remember to write complete sentences, and to end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark. An emoji is never a substitute for a closing punctuation mark.

Something being popular doesn't make it important. Your first sentence is the basis of your argument.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is the rest of my paragraph correct? I mean the second corrected version 2. I am not sure about "a knowledge of English" and "such opportunity".
See below.
Version 2.
A student [of English] should read as many articles in English as possible, or and watch videos in a foreign language English. The topic is about English so saying "a foreign language" isn't specific enough.
English is not as difficult as some other languages. Irrelevant to the argument.
A knowledge of English is always an advantage. This sentence is grammatically correct but it should be the opening sentence of your piece and you still need to add statements to back up your claim.
It is difficult to maintain a good level of English at a good level if it is not necessary to one doesn't/you don't use it regularly.
But However, today the internet gives us such the opportunity to practise.

Anna232

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
See below.
Thank you so much! Could you tell me if the sentence that was unrelated is grammatically correct? "English is not as difficult as some other languages".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's okay, but I would say, "English is not as hard to learn as some languages."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For some reason ESL learners tend to prefer "difficult" to "hard". However, native speakers tend to use "hard" much more often. Why is that? Well, for one thing, "hard" has only one syllable. (People are lazy. 😊)

That's hard for me to understand.
I give up. It's too hard.
I don't understand calculus. It's too hard for me.
Falling is easy. It's not hard.