[Vocabulary] Learning English is really fun/funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hello,

"Learning English is really fun/funny" Here I do not know which of the two(fun and funny) would be more suitable. I know I can say "He is funny" but not "He is fun". Also I know "Have fun" is used in day to day life. So I think the answer I want should be "funny". But I am still not sure. What is your view?

Thanks,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Learning English is really fun/funny" Here I do not know which of the two(fun and funny) would be more suitable.
'Fun' (enjoyable) is more likely than 'funny' (amusing).
I know I can say "He is funny" but not "He is fun".
A person can be fun (to be with).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I know I can say "He is funny" but not "He is fun".
Strictly speaking, you can only 'know' something that is true. (You can say "He is fun."). Far too many learners use this line wrongly.
I'd suggest using, "I believe, I've learnt, I think ...".

To begin an English paragraph with "I know we can <insert something we cannot do>" is wrong.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Strictly speaking, you can only 'know' something that is true. (You can say "He is fun."). Far too many learners use this line wrongly.
I'd suggest using, "I believe, I've learnt, I think ...".

To begin an English paragraph with "I know we can <insert something we cannot do>" is wrong.

Great suggestions Raymott. These are week points of those who are still learning English and non-native speakers. Your duty is to correct us :) and we are really grateful to all of you for that. Many many thanks. I will always be thanking those who correct us. Please do not let us make mistake even a little. That is what I personally expect from you. If there is any mistake please let us know and help to correct them. I know, as teachers or moderators all of you always dedicate to correct us and share your knowledge with us. Here after I will be using your suggestions; "I believe, I've learnt, I think". May your God bless you.:up:

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
'Fun' (enjoyable) is more likely than 'funny' (amusing).A person can be fun (to be with).

Just knew that a person can be fun. Till now I knew that a person can be only funny. Great!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
These are [strike]week[/strike] weak points of those who are still learning English and non-native speakers.

It's a good idea not to think of rules that you read as absolutes, but as guidelines. People make laws by looking at usage and trying to find patterns. There are often exceptions, so think of them as pointers and guides rather than laws that must be applied universally. :up:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just knew that a person can be fun. Till now I knew that a person can be only funny. Great!

Which reminds me of the brief incident about a mushroom that walks into a bar. Whereas the barkeep announces to the mushroom that the establishment has a policy of not serving mushrooms. The mushroom complains and announces, "Why not? I'm a FUNgi!"

Status
Not open for further replies.