Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm looking for some interesting ways to say "my favorite...is...". For example, what can I say instead of the underlined part?

My favorite restaurant is KFC.
My favorite place in the city is the park near my workplace.

Obviously, I can say "I like x" or "I visit x a lot", but I'm looking for an interesting phrase to replace "my favorite...is...".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm looking for some interesting ways to say "My favorite ... is ...". For example, what can I say instead of the underlined part?

My favorite restaurant is KFC.
My favorite place in the city is the park near my workplace.

Obviously, I can say "I like x" or "I visit x a lot", but I'm looking for an interesting phrase to replace "My favorite ... is ...".
The following work in the contexts above, although none of them are a straight swap for "favourite".

I'm really keen on ...
I have a thing for ...
I've got a soft spot for ...

Remember that when you use an ellipsis between words, you need to put a space before and after the three dots. If the character after the ellipsis is not a word, you can omit that final space.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'll sometimes hear a favorite place you frequently visit referred to as one of your 'haunts'. In turn, you can say you haunt a particular place.

KFC is one of my frequent haunts.
I spend far too much time haunting KFC.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
As an aside, if you say "My favourite restaurant is KFC", it isn't clear if you mean any KFC outlet or a particular one. (I know the food at all KFC outlets within a country will be much the same, but things like space and seating and ambience could be different.)

If you mean a specific KFC outlet, you'll need to specify it. My favourite restaurant is the KFC on P**lavi Street.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Couldn't you say what the park does for you? If it's a calm spot to escape to in a hectic city, say something about that- we can get the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.