[General] Native speakers of English here...(76 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote a short paragraph about native speakers of English who work as English teachers here. The context is that I was telling someone who joined us in my English club that if one wants to improve their English skills, they need to figure out the mistakes they make and correct them by asking professional teachers. But most of them just don't do that so they don't improve.

More often than not they * don't correct the mistakes in your spoken English expressions because they don't think it's needed. There are usually more than three to four errors in one sentence said by a non-native speaker so it's time consuming to do that. The only way to improve one's spoken English skills is to find out one's mistakes and seek help from professional English teachers or we'll never make any progress in English studies.

Would you please help me with the italic paragraph?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wrote a short paragraph about native speakers of English who work as English teachers here. The context is that I was telling someone who joined [STRIKE]us in[/STRIKE] my English club that if one wants to improve their English skills, they need to figure out the mistakes they make and have/get them corrected them [STRIKE]by asking[/STRIKE] professional teachers, but most of them just don't do that so they don't improve.

More often than not, they (removed strange asterisk) don't correct the mistakes in your spoken English expressions because they don't think it's [STRIKE]needed[/STRIKE] necessary. There are usually more than three [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] or four errors in one sentence said by a non-native speaker so it's time-consuming to do that. The only way to improve one's spoken English [STRIKE]skills[/STRIKE] is to find out one's mistakes and seek help from professional English teachers or [STRIKE]we'll[/STRIKE] one will never make any progress in one's English studies.

Would you please help me with the italic paragraph?

See above. I recommend you stop using "one" instead of "you" or "they". As you can see above, once you've used "one" once, you have to keep repeating it!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I appreciate your help, emsr2d2 and teechar.

I still have two questions about the corrected paragraph:

1) More often than not, they don't correct the mistakes in your spoken English expressions because they don't think it's necessary.

Is it better to simply say "in your spoken English"?

2)
I recommend you stop using "one" instead of "you" or "they". As you can see above, once you've used "one" once, you have to keep repeating it!

I always listen to your suggestions. But if I change "one" with "you" or "they". I also need to repeat "you" or "they" many times. Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still have two questions about the corrected paragraph:

1) More often than not, they don't correct the mistakes in your spoken English expressions because they don't think it's necessary.

Is it better to simply say "in your spoken English"?

I can only apologise. I thought I had struck through "expressions". I hadn't. Yes, "in your spoken English" is better.

2) I always listen to your suggestions. But if I change "one" with "you" or "they". I also need to repeat "you" or "they" many times. Am I right?

That's true but it sounds a lot less affected than "one". Many of us associate using "one" with the speech of the upper classes and the Royal Family.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right. One sounds stiff, formal, snobbish, elitist, pedantic, stuffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.