What are English Language references to native/first-language speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kongr

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Kuwait
Hello all, I am new here.

I'll post my question in short: What is the reference to learn English as a native or first-language speaker?
Knowing that I have lived there (in Australia) when I was young from age 2 to 7 years old.

I was reading the book (Practical English Usage) by Micheal Swan , and from page 8 he says under 'What is Practical English Usage':

"Practical English Usage is a combined usage guide and learner's grammar. it is intended mainly for advanced students and teachers of English as a foreign or second language; it may also be useful to teacher trainers and materials writers. It is not addressed to native speakers of English, who need a rather different kind of reference book"

I will post a picture of the page just in case, first paragraph.
So, can you please provide advice of how can I make myself stronger as a native speaker?

https://pasteboard.co/f7Kt32md9crf.png

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all, I am new here.

I'll post my question in short: What is the reference to learn English as a native or first-language speaker? I don't know what you mean by "What is the reference to learn".

[STRIKE]Knowing that[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] lived [STRIKE]there ([/STRIKE] in Australia when I was young, from [STRIKE]age[/STRIKE] 2 to 7 years old.

I was reading the book no bracket here Practical English Usage no bracket here by Michael Swan , and [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] on page 8 he says the following under 'What is Practical English Usage':

"Practical English Usage is a combined usage guide and learner's grammar. It is intended mainly for advanced students and teachers of English as a foreign or second language; it may also be useful to teacher trainers and materials writers. It is not addressed to native speakers of English, who need a rather different kind of reference book."

I will post a picture of the page just in case, first paragraph.
So, can you please provide advice [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] on how can I make myself stronger as a native speaker?

https://pasteboard.co/f7Kt32md9crf.png

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Even if you lived in Australia from the age of two until you were seven, I suspect English is still effectively your second language. For the first two years of your life, presumably, you were surrounded by Arabic and your first words were Arabic. Which country did you move to when you were seven? If it wasn't an English-speaking country and you didn't continue to speak English on a daily basis with other native speakers, you might well have lost a proportion of your semi-native ability.

Are you asking for a recommendation of a reference book designed for native speakers?

As far as other ways of improving go, we always recommend watching lots of TV and movies in English, listening to talk radio and to podcasts, and reading well-written, reliable English press. Of course, the best thing you can do is converse with native speakers as often as possible. Is there a local language exchange or English club you could join?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Most native speakers don't have such a reference. You might be surprised at how little grammar many native speakers actively know. I bought a copy of Swan for my mother, who is fascinated by language, and she loved it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First let's be clear: You are not a native English speaker, Kongr. That much is obvious from your use of language in post #1, among other things you've said.

Kongr

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Kuwait
Okay.

First, thank you dearly for correcting me.

Then,
- I am born in Kuwait, and lived all my life here except those 5 years back there in Australia.

- As per your question of me asking for a reference book for natives: Yes. Or even plans / reference(s). Especially if something that gives me the idea of the sentence construction based on word usage like the corrections you provided. And I also wish to almost fully expose myself to the Australian English mainly -if not only- if I could. I am ready to start as if from zero again, doing bunch of work to work on myself. YES PLEASE!! 'WELL-WRITTEN' English publications!!

- I also would claim that my English is semi-native by sensing not performance, performance it would be second-language.

- Generally, I am not into TV shows or movies such as Netflix or mere action or blockbuster drama movies. I am more into debates, documentaries, lectures, researches, reports, analysis. I also watch non-English material subtitled in English, and most of them are loose or poor translations.

- I am not into the idiomatic way of writing or slang-based language, I am fascinated by writings and language of journalists. I know this also depends on the writer (journalist or publisher in this case); therefore, I want to take what it needs to be a native speaker, then learn about different types of writing, then find my own style within each type I am concerned with.

Here: I want to ask people -which I lack- about resources of books, reports, researches..etc of topics I care about, then they recommend WELL-WRITTEN things they know.

6- As for me joining a language exchange place, I believe no such a place exists around. I would rather expose myself to plenty of material, but I want to have the "lenses" first, so I can pick up while I am being exposed. Quite the concept of [Frequency Illusion]. I won't mind joining online forums.

Kongr

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Kuwait
First let's be clear: You are not a native English speaker, Kongr. That much is obvious from your use of language in post #1, among other things you've said.

Okay. Then I hope to become one then. Hope you don't mind and may support.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then I came here to become one. Hope you don't mind.

Let's clear this up right now. You cannot "become" a native speaker or first-language speaker. English either is your native/first language or it's not. In your case, it's not. There is nothing you can do about that fact. If you're lucky, work hard, have a real affinity for language and spend some more time in an English-speaking country, you might eventually speak English at the same level as a native speaker. You still won't be one.

Kongr

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Kuwait
Let's clear this up right now. You cannot "become" a native speaker or first-language speaker. English either is your native/first language or it's not. In your case, it's not. There is nothing you can do about that fact. If you're lucky, work hard, have a real affinity for language and spend some more time in an English-speaking country, you might eventually speak English at the same level as a native speaker. You still won't be one.

Sure. At least I get to where I feel being a naturalised Australian.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay.

First, thank you [STRIKE]dearly[/STRIKE] for correcting [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] my posts.

[STRIKE]Then,[/STRIKE]
- I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was born in Kuwait, and have lived here all my life [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] except those 5 years [STRIKE]back there[/STRIKE] in Australia.

- As [STRIKE]per[/STRIKE] to your question [STRIKE]of me[/STRIKE] about if I'm asking for a reference book for natives: Yes, or even plans/reference(s). I don't know what you mean by "plans/references".

I would especially [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] like something that gives me [STRIKE]the idea of the[/STRIKE] information about sentence construction based on word usage, like the corrections you provided. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] I also wish to [STRIKE]almost fully[/STRIKE] expose myself primarily to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Australian English [STRIKE]mainly -if not only-[/STRIKE] if I [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] can.I am ready to start [STRIKE]as if[/STRIKE] from zero again, doing a bunch of work to work on myself. [STRIKE]YES PLEASE!![/STRIKE] Yes, please. I would like to read [STRIKE]'WELL-WRITTEN'[/STRIKE] well-written English publications!!

- I also would claim that my English is semi-native by sensing not performance. I don't know what this sentence means.

Based on my
performance, it would be my second no hyphen here language.

- Generally, I am not into TV shows or movies such as those on Netflix, or [STRIKE]mere[/STRIKE] action or blockbuster drama movies. I am more into debates, documentaries, lectures, researches, reports, analysis. I also watch non-English material subtitled in English, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but most of them are loose or poor translations.

- I am not into the idiomatic way of writing or slang-based language; I am fascinated by the writings and language of journalists. I know this also depends on the writer (journalist or publisher in this case); therefore, I want to [STRIKE]take[/STRIKE] do what it [STRIKE]needs[/STRIKE] takes to [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] reach the level of a native speaker, then learn about different types of writing, then find my own style within each type I am [STRIKE]concerned with[/STRIKE] interested in.

[STRIKE]Here:[/STRIKE] On this forum, I want to ask people [STRIKE]-which I lack-[/STRIKE] about resources [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] such as books, reports, [STRIKE]researches..[/STRIKE] research, etc [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] on topics I care about, [STRIKE]then they[/STRIKE] and I would then like them to recommend [STRIKE]WELL-WRITTEN[/STRIKE] well-written things they know about.

[STRIKE]6-[/STRIKE] As for me joining a language exchange place, I believe no such a place exists [STRIKE]around[/STRIKE] near me. I would rather expose myself to plenty of material, but I want to have the "lenses" first, so I can pick up useful information. [STRIKE]while I am being exposed.[/STRIKE]

Quite the concept of [Frequency Illusion]. This isn't a complete sentence, I don't know what it means, and the square brackets aren't appropriate here.

I [STRIKE]won't[/STRIKE] don't mind joining online forums.

Please note my corrections and comments above. TED talks sound like they would fit the bill as far as your listening comprehension goes. There are literally hundreds of topics covered. Please don't write in block capitals (it's the online equivalent of shouting) and please don't use different colours in your posts. It makes it harder for us to make corrections and comments in the different colours we use.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure. At least I get to where I feel being a naturalised Australian.

I'm not sure what that means, but if you live in Australia you are surrounded by people who speak English all the time. Your English will improve because you will be forced to use it all the time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what that means, but if you live in Australia you are surrounded by people who speak English all the time. Your English will improve because you will be forced to use it all the time.

The OP lived in Australia for just those five years. They now live in Kuwait, according to their member profile.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's talking about becoming a naturalized Australian citizen, which means he plans to go back to Australia (I guess).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At least I get to where I feel being a naturalised Australian.

Kongr, please clarify what you meant by that ungrammatical sentence. Are you hoping to move back to Australia and become a naturalised Australian citizen in the future, or are you hoping to get your English to a level where people might believe you're Australian (naturalised or otherwise)?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You are certainly right about one thing, Kongr. Subtitles are useless. Most of them are generated by computers nowadays and therefore contain many errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.