Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello

I guess that the following sentence is not grammatically correct since the verb must agree with what comes before the prepositional clause like "one of my friends is very nice" but the below one violates the rules. What do you think as English native speakers?

One of my favorite sub-genres of cookbooks are those that fix a laser-focused lens on a single ingredient

Like creamed spinach? Then you'll love this 5-ingredient spinach pasta

It should be "is that which fixes". It should refer to just one sub-genre.

Does the original sentence feel odd? It's Because I had given this sentence to 3 of my native English friends on Discord and non of them considered the sentence ungrammatical.

Does the original sentence feel sound odd? It's I'm asking because I had given gave/showed this sentence to 3 three of my native English-speaking friends on Discord and none of them considered the sentence ungrammatical.

It would be easy to miss the grammatical error because the two nouns closest to "are those that fix" are "sub-genres" and "cookbooks". That's almost certainly what happened in the original - the proximity of two plural nouns led the writer to use the plural verb phrase, and to forget that the opening noun of the sentence is singular. Perhaps that's what happened with your friends. Why don't you show them this thread and see what they say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back