Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
UK
Is it "one of the registered nurse" or "one of the registered nurses" ? (In spoken English)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it "one of the registered nurse" or "one of the registered nurses"? (In spoken English)

Welcome to the forum.

In general, we always ask users to give us a complete sentence. However in the case of this fragment, there is a simple answer - only the second is correct. Whenever you use "one of the", it will be followed by a plural noun. That's because using "one of the" makes it clear that there is more than one of something.

Don't leave a space before a question mark.

Why did you specify spoken English? Do you think, for some reason, that the answer would be different for written English?

Nimmy

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure whether spoken English will be different from written English.

The full sentence is "I'm one of the registered nurses in this facility"

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure whether spoken English will would be different from written English.

The full sentence is "I'm one of the registered nurses in this facility".

There are lots of instances in which native speakers might use a different construction when speaking from that which they would use when writing but this isn't one of those instances. For now, I suggest you simply concentrate on grammatically correct English - if you use that in both writing and speaking, you won't go wrong.

I would use "at this facility" in the main sentence but "in" isn't wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.