Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Mary is a reception staff at a hotel. A customer came to complain about the room services. Mary tried to apologise to the customer. However the customer was still angry and spoke with foul language. Then Mary said “ I will find the manager to address this matter. “ Is it natural or grammatically correct to use “find” in the above context?

Some people use “our manager” in the above Circumstance. Are they correct? If they use “our manager “, does it sound like both the reception staff and the customer are part of the same team at the hotel?

Is it natural to use “my manager” in the above circumstance.

Mary is a receptionist. (Not a reception staff )

Don't say "my manager". Say "the manager".

Thanks Tarheel

If we say “my manager” in the above circumstance’, does it sound like the speaker is the owner of the hotel?

Thanks Tarheel

If we say “my manager” in the above circumstance’, does it sound like the speaker is the owner of the hotel?
No. For me, "my manager" or "the manager" are both acceptable. Using "my manager" makes it clear that that manager is personally in charge of your work.

Thanks emsr

If we say “our manager” , does it mean that the receptionist and the customer are part of the staff members of the hotel and it is incorrect?

Thanks emsr2d2. (If you're going to address someone by their username, make sure you get it right.)

If we say “our manager”, does it mean that the receptionist and the customer are part of the staff members of the hotel and it is incorrect?
No. It doesn't suggest that the customer is a member of staff. However, if Mary is alone at reception, it would be odd for her to say "our manager". If, however, she and another member of staff had been involved in the conversation/argument with the customer, then "our manager" would be OK.

Back