[Essay] Please help correct my composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsky888

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following is my writing practise, please help me correct it. Many thanks.

My most special experiences

Two years ago, I went to Beijing with my parents by plane. I had great time in Beijing. I done lots of things in Beijing. We went to the Beijing Teahouse. We have seen the Beijing Opera. It sounds nice but I can’t understand it well. I also have climbed The Great Wall, it’s so wonderful. I can’t forget it.I visited the Palace Museum as well. It has very long history and it beautiful. I ate the roast duck on last day, it tastes delicious.
Beijing is so pretty, I will never forget it.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first thing you need to do is click on "Edit Post" and add a space after every comma and every full stop. Remember to click "Save" afterwards.
Also, look at "tow", "tings", "ha" and "rosk" - they are all misspellings. I think "Place" is probably a misspelling too.

bigsky888

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following is my writing practise, please help me correct it. Many thanks.

Two years ago, I went to Beijing with my parents by plane. I had great time in Beijing. I done lots of things in Beijing. We went to the Beijing Teahouse. We have seen the Beijing Opera. It sounds nice but I can’t understand it well. I also have climbed The Great Wall, it’s so wonderful. I can’t forget it.I visited the Palace Museum as well. It has very long history and it beautiful. I ate the roast duck on last day, it tastes delicious.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following is my writing practice. Please help me by correcting it. Many thanks.

Two years ago, I [STRIKE]went[/STRIKE] flew to Beijing with my parents. [STRIKE]by plane.[/STRIKE] I had a great time in Beijing. I [STRIKE]done[/STRIKE] did lots of things [STRIKE]in Beijing[/STRIKE] there. We went to the Beijing Teahouse[STRIKE]. We have seen[/STRIKE] and the Beijing Opera. [STRIKE]It[/STRIKE] The opera sounded nice but I [STRIKE]can’t[/STRIKE] couldn't understand it well. I also [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] climbed The Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I [STRIKE]can’t[/STRIKE] will never forget it. I visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is beautiful. I ate [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] roast duck on the last day; it tasted delicious.

See my corrections above. Because you are a beginner, it is OK to write short sentences like this. As you learn more about English, you will learn to write longer, more fluid sentences.

You need to concentrate on your use of articles ("a", "an" and "the") and your use of different tenses.

bigsky888

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See my corrections above. Because you are a beginner, it is OK to write short sentences like this. As you learn more about English, you will learn to write longer, more fluid sentences.

You need to concentrate on your use of articles ("a", "an" and "the") and your use of different tenses.

Thank you very much, emsr2d2. I want to use not only the simple past tense but also the present perfect tense. So, please let me have a try and help me by correcting it.

Two years ago, I [STRIKE]went [/STRIKE]flew to Beijing with my parents.[STRIKE] by plane.[/STRIKE] I had a great time in Beijing. I have done lots of things [STRIKE]in Beijing[/STRIKE] there. We have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And we have seen the Beijing Opera. [STRIKE]It [/STRIKE]The opera sounded nice but I [STRIKE]can’t[/STRIKE] couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I [STRIKE]can’t [/STRIKE]will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I ate the roast duck on the last day; it tasted delicious.
Beijing is so pretty, I hope I can go there again one day.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You say you went to Beijing two years ago and you describe what you did during the trip. The present perfect tense should not be used.

I would use a semi-colon instead of a comma in the last sentence.

bigsky888

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You say you went to Beijing two years ago and you describe what you did during the trip. The present perfect tense should not be used.

Can I write like this:

I’m having a good time in China. I arrived in Beijing two days ago. I have done lots of things in Beijing there. We have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And we have seen the Beijing Opera. It The opera sounded nice but I can’t couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I can’t will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I ate the roast duck on the last day; it tasted delicious.
Beijing is so pretty;I will never forget it.

bigsky888

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Can I write this:

I’m having a good time in China. I arrived in Beijing two days ago. I have done lots of things there. We have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And we have seen the Beijing Opera. The opera sounded nice but I couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I have eaten roast duck; it tasted delicious.
Beijing is so pretty; I hope I can go there again.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you want to practise the present perfect tense when you are talking about your life experiences in Beijing, you can write like this:

I am having a great time in China. I have done a lot of things in Beijing. I have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And I have seen the Beijing Opera. The opera sounded nice but I couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I have eaten the roast duck; it tasted delicious.
Beijing is so pretty; I hope I can go there again one day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.