Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would like to know how the American pronounce "Putin" and "panting." In "Putin" are there vowel sounds before and after the "t." If it is so, it should be pronounce "Pudin."

I don't know much about it. I am confused! Should I say the flap t or true t or dropped t in "putin" and "painting?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You've been told a few times that you should say the 't', and not try at this time to mimic minor regional variations until they occur naturally. Are you hoping for a different answer? Regarding dropping the 't' in 'painting' or 'panting', it depends entirely on whether you want to be understood when you speak. Did you find a dictionary that says to drop the 't' in these words? 'Paining' and 'panning' are entirely different words.

As far as 'Putin' is concerned, no American is going to misunderstand you if you just say 'Putin'. You will not be misunderstood by an American if you say 't' where an American might pronounce a flap.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know much about it.
You should - we've told you often enough.

As you're in India, say the words as other Indians say them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As you're in India, say the words as other Indians say them.

I agree.

My advice is to either pronounce the word as it is said in Russian or as it is pronounced by the newsreaders on Indian TV news networks.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My advice is to either pronounce the word as it is said in Russian or as it is pronounced by the newsreaders on Indian TV news networks.
I'd advise the latter. I believe that Russians tend to intrude a /z/ after the /t/, which might confuse Anglophone listeners.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I believe that Russians tend to intrude a /z/ after the /t/, which might confuse Anglophone listeners.

I don't think so. I say this because I happened to ask two Russian-speaking friends of mine this exact question recently.

The question came up because of my irritation with how many British journalists pronounce it Pew-tin. It's pronounced Poo-tin.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
Americans often pronounce "Putin" as ['pu ʔ].

The [
ʔ
n̩] (glottal stop followed by syllabic n) combination is found in common American pronunciations of "mountain", "Latin", "Clinton", "important", etc.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When I am in India, which is often, I tend to adopt Indian pronunciation. The reason can be summed up in one word: inertia. There is no chance at all that the hundreds of millions are going to be influenced by my pronuniation. So I am best served by making it easier for them to understand me.

Status
Not open for further replies.