[General] Punctuation rule-period after parenthetical Bible chapter & verse at end of sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BizzyEnuf

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Punctuation rule-period after parenthetical Bible chapter & verse at end of sentence

Hello:

I am not sure if a period belongs at the end of a parenthetical reference at the end of a sentence that is followed by another sentence, such as this example (I've put the "questionable" period in red):

When he was on the cross he prayed to the Heavenly Father, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:24). We should pray for forgiveness.

To me, it looks wrong without a period after the parenthesis, however what "looks" correct and what "is" correct are often two different things! :)

Thanks in advance for enlightening me on proper punctuation in this situation.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Punctuation rule-period after parenthetical Bible chapter & verse at end of sente

I wouldn't use any punctuation there.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Punctuation rule-period after parenthetical Bible chapter & verse at end of sente

Welcome to the forum, BizzyEnuf:hi:.

I would keep the red full stop but omit the one after 'do', otherwise it looks like the parenthetical reference belongs to the next sentence.

Rover

BizzyEnuf

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Welcome to the forum, BizzyEnuf:hi:.

I would keep the red full stop but omit the one after 'do', otherwise it looks like the parenthetical reference belongs to the next sentence. Rover

Oh boy - 2 different suggestions; however, Rover, your answer did come into my mind too as perhaps a better way to handle the issue (neglected to add it to my initial post). Guess either way would work. I'll wait to see if any other people chime in - will be interested to see which way gets a bigger thumb up! :)

And thanks for the friendly welcome, too!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I agree with Rover. It's not ideal, but it's the least objectionable, in my opinion. Whatever we do after 'do', we need a full stop after the reference to separate it from the following sentence.

BizzyEnuf

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I agree with Rover. It's not ideal, but it's the least objectionable, in my opinion. Whatever we do after 'do', we need a full stop after the reference to separate it from the following sentence.

Thank you very much for your opinion. I agree - this does seem to be best option.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

There are style guides for this sort of question, you know.
For example: Biblical References: Format and Examples
Biblical references are usually put at the end of the sentence (in parentheses), followed by the concluding punctuation.
Have you read the parables of Jesus, such as the famous parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37)?
The Gospel according to Mark is the first Christian text that uses the word "gospel" or "good news" (1:1). The death of Jesus is briefly but powerfully described in the Fourth Gospel: "When Jesus had received the wine, he said, 'It is finished.' Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit" (John 19:30).

BizzyEnuf

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"There are style guides for this sort of question, you know."

Yes Barb, I am aware and did search online as I always do when unsure of a punctuation rule, and I did in fact find in my search, and visited, the link location you've posted. But, after reading through the examples I was unsure what was correct, based on what I saw there. Perhaps my oversight - I apologize.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help clarify this for me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Both Harvard and APA put the period after the citation, not at the end of the sentence. I think consistency is the most important factor. You can check a few other styles, but if they all do the same, that's probably what you should do.

Here’s Harvard: 'The cost to the nation's health of working out of phase with our biological clocks is probably incalculable at present' (Rajaratnam 2001, p. 1005).
Harvard author-date style, Citing and referencing tutorial, Monash University Library

Here’s APA
Encouraging students to memorise facts and rules and then testing their memory has been a consistent criterion of pedagogy (Broudy, 1998, p. 8).
The APA Referencing System :: Academic Skills Resources, The Learning Centre UNSW

BizzyEnuf

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks Raymott for extra info - I do appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.