[Essay] Really Lost. Anyone help analyse this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C2214

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi I'm stuck if anyone can help me I'd be extremely grateful. I have to "how does the writer convey their attitude towards profession of nursing" but I can't find any language/structure techniques and can barely understand what the writer is talking about. Please help

Thanks everyone

Shall we begin by taking it as a general principle - that all disease, at some period or other of its course, is more or less a reparative process, not necessarily accompanied with suffering: an effort of nature to remedy a process of poisoning or of decay, which has taken place weeks, months, sometimes years beforehand, unnoticed, the termination of the disease being then, while the antecedent process was going on, determined?

If we accept this as a general principle, we shall be immediately met with anecdotes and instances to prove the contrary. Just so if we were to take, as a principle - all the climates of the earth are meant to be made habitable for man, by the efforts of man - the objection would be immediately raised, - Will the top of Mount Blanc ever be made habitable? Our answer would be, it will be many thousands of years before we have reached the bottom of Mount Blanc in making the earth healthy. Wait till we have reached the bottom before we discuss the top.

In watching diseases, both in private houses and in public hospitals, the thing which strikes the experienced observer most forcibly is this, that the symptoms or the sufferings generally considered to be inevitable and incident to the disease are very often not symptoms of the disease at all, but of something quite different - of the want of fresh air, or of light, or of warmth, or of quiet, or of cleanliness, or of punctuality and care in the administration of diet, of each or of all of these. And this quite as much in private as in hospital nursing.

The reparative process which Nature has instituted and which we call disease, has been hindered by some want of knowledge or attention, in one or in all of these things, and pain, suffering, or interruption of the whole process sets in.

If a patient is cold, if a patient is feverish, if a patient is faint, if he is sick after taking food, if he has a bed-sore, it is generally the fault not of the disease, but of the nursing.

I use the word nursing for want of a better. It has been limited to signify little more than the administration of medicines and the application of poultices. It ought to signify the proper use of fresh air, light, warmth, cleanliness, quiet, and the proper selection and administration of diet - all at the least expense of vital power to the patient.

It has been said and written scores of times, that every woman makes a good nurse. I believe, on the contrary, that the very elements of nursing are all but unknown.

By this I do not mean that the nurse is always to blame. Bad sanitary, bad architectural, and bad administrative arrangements often make it impossible to nurse.

But the art of nursing ought to include such arrangements as alone make what I understand by nursing, possible.

The art of nursing, as now practised, seems to be expressly constituted to unmake what God had made disease to be, viz., a reparative process.

To recur to the first objection. If we are asked, Is such or such a disease a reparative process? Can such an illness be unaccompanied with suffering? Will any care prevent such a patient from suffering this or that? - I humbly say, I do not know. But when you have done away with all that pain and suffering, which in patients are the symptoms not of their disease, but of the absence of one or all of the above-mentioned essentials to the success of Nature's reparative processes, we shall then know what are the symptoms of and the sufferings inseparable from the disease.

Another and the commonest exclamation which will be instantly made is - Would you do nothing, then, in cholera, fever, etc.? so deep-rooted and universal is the conviction that to give medicine is to be doing something, or rather everything; to give air, warmth, cleanliness, etc., is to do nothing. The reply is, that in these and many other similar diseases the exact value of particular remedies and modes of treatment is by no means ascertained, while there is universal experience as to the extreme importance of careful nursing in determining the issue of the disease.

II. The very elements of what constitutes good nursing are as little understood for the well as for the sick. The same laws of health or of nursing, for they are in reality the same, obtain among the well as among the sick. The breaking of them produces only a less violent consequence among the former than among the latter, - and this sometimes, not always.

It is constantly objected, - "But how can I obtain this medical knowledge? I am not a doctor. I must leave this to doctors."

Thanks to eveyone, usually I wouldn't ask but just need help

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum.

Who wrote the article you quoted?

C2214

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum.

Who wrote the article you quoted?

Hi thanks for taking the time to help me

It's 'Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not'
By Florence Nightingale

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I'm stuck. If anyone can help me, I'd be extremely grateful. I have to answer the question "How does the writer convey their attitude towards the profession of nursing?" but I can't find any language/structure techniques and can barely understand what the writer is talking about. Please help.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] everyone. Usually I wouldn't ask but I just need help.

Note my corrections above, particularly to your punctuation.

When are you going to submit your answer to that question to your tutor/teacher?

C2214

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note my corrections above, particularly to your punctuation.

When are you going to submit your answer to that question to your tutor/teacher?

Oh, thanks, I'll spend more time learning about that.

I have to submit it by Friday. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, thanks, I'll spend more time learning about that.

I have to submit it by Friday. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

As you will have noted from the forum rules, which you accepted on 31 March, we do not help with assignments or homework in any circumstances. The work you submit must be your work only, done with no help. That is the only way for the teacher to understand where your strengths and weakness lie.

After your teacher returns your assignment, you are welcome to come back to us if there are any comments or corrections you don't understand and that your teacher can't explain to you.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.