Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "reflects a psychological reality" mean? "showing your state such as being in anger or calmness"? It's kind of figurative hard to grasp the meaning.

ex)If the other person is in a rage or a panic, you need to be calm enough for both of you. Your calmness can be as infectious as their anger or fear. Take a deep breath or two until you calm down. The effectiveness of this simple technique of breathing consciously reflects a psychological reality. With anger, our heart rate and blood pressure usually increase, causing the blood to flow more rapidly from our brain to our extremities. This is not the best time to make decisions. By pausing, if only for a few seconds, and taking a few slow, deep breaths, we can begin to slow down our heart rate and relaxt our tensed muscles. We can then focus more effectively on what response will best advance our interests.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here reflects means it shows or gives information about the emotions or thoughts a person is experiencing.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Here reflects means it shows or gives information about the emotions or thoughts a person is experiencing.
Does it mean breathing shows mental state or the following explanation?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I still wonder if psychological reality means general mental state or the following explanation from "with anger...."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It shows the mental state, according to the quote.

Do you think breathing can show calmness not anger or turbulent emotional states?
Is "reflects a psychological reality" related only to this part not to "anger part"?

ex)....By pausing, if only for a few seconds, and taking a few slow, deep breaths, we can begin to slow down our heart rate and relaxt our tensed muscles. We can then focus more effectively on what response will best advance our interests.

I'm not being too much persistent, but if it's related only to this part, I don't know why the writer said that unnecessary explanation.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Perhaps:
The "psychological reality" refers to this process – "With anger, our heart rate and blood pressure usually increase ... This is not the best time to make decisions ... (by) taking a few slow, deep breaths, we can begin to slow down our heart rate and ... we can then focus more effectively."

The writer is saying that a technique of breathing which would be beneficial to yourself in the above example could be employed to influence the state of mind of someone else who needs to be calmed down. That your calmness can be "infectious".

So, the effectiveness of the technique when used on someone else reflects (mirrors, corresponds to) the way it works in one's own psychology.

not a teacher

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Do you think breathing can show calmness not anger or turbulent emotional states?
Is "reflects a psychological reality" related only to this part not to "anger part"?

ex)....By pausing, if only for a few seconds, and taking a few slow, deep breaths, we can begin to slow down our heart rate and relaxt our tensed muscles. We can then focus more effectively on what response will best advance our interests.

I'm not being too much persistent, but if it's related only to this part, I don't know why the writer said that unnecessary explanation.

If you are so deeply convinced otherwise, why do you ask? Twice even? I know what the passage says. If you think otherwise, even after I tell you, fine. Just don't ask the exact same thing a second time. You must think yourself a grand man indeed to know better, every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.