The tricks that used by crows for finding food reflects the unmatchable intelligence of this species of bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
the use of be in a descriptive clause

My reference of the following sentences is the book Summit written by Asker and Saslow.

1. The tricks that used by crows for finding food reflects the unmatchable intelligence of this species of bird.
2. Ants evolved in the era when the dinosaurs roaming on Earth.

I think in the first sentence, it must be 'that are used' and in the second one, 'dinosaurs were roaming', instead of the bolt words respectively.

Am I right?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My reference of The following sentences is are from (the book) Summit (written) by Asker Ascher and Saslow.
See above.
Are you sure those sentence were written like that in the book? Do you have a genuine (paper) copy of that book?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My question is about the use of "be" in a descriptive clause.

My reference of the following sentences is the book Summit written by Asker and Saslow.

1. The tricks that used by crows for finding food reflects the unmatchable intelligence of this species of bird.
2. Ants evolved in the era when the dinosaurs roaming on Earth.

Source: Summit by Asker and Saslow

I think in the first sentence, it must should be 'that are used' and in the second one, 'dinosaurs were roaming', instead of the bolt words in bold. respectively. Am I right?
Please note my changes above. Cite the source and author after the quote. Also note that I have changed your thread title and moved your question to the main body of the post. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us to look at.

Note the correct spelling of "bold", and that we say either "words in bold" or "bolded words", but not "bold words".

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See above.
Are you sure those sentence were written like that in the book? Do you have a genuine (paper) copy of that book?
Yes, I am. I would send its photo to you if there is any way to, like by WhatsApp.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, I am. I would send its photo to you if there is any way to, like by WhatsApp.
You can attach a screenshot here. It's an English-teaching book, perhaps these were examples of incorrect writing?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I am do. I would send its photo of it to you if there is were any way to, like such as by WhatsApp.
See above.

Take a screenshot, save it to your computer, then click the little icon that looks a bit like a mountain (to the left of the smiley icon) and upload the screenshot to your post.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You can attach a screenshot here. It's an English-teaching book, perhaps these were examples of incorrect writi2.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    307 KB · Views: 7

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, I am do. I would send its photo of it to you if there is were any way to, like such as by WhatsApp.
Thanks emsr2d2 for correcting me, your points are very fruitful. However, the correction above might be a misunderstanding. 'Yes, I do' refers back to the first verb in the questioner's. And I believe 'I would send photo of it' cannot be complete unless we say 'the photo of it' or 'its photo'. I couldn't understand why 'its photo' is not correct.
I hope I have attached the pictures right as you helped to do so. 🙏

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Its (possessive) photo" means "a photo belonging to it". It doesn't mean "a photo of it".
Apologies for the misunderstanding of the other part. I assumed you were answering "Do you have a paper copy of the book?".

The screenshot shows us that that piece is absolutely full of errors. I recommend you stop using it for English study. If I get time later (and someone doesn't beat me to it), I'll indicate all the errors.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Its (possessive) photo" means "a photo belonging to it". It doesn't mean "a photo of it".
Apologies for the misunderstanding of the other part. I assumed you were answering "Do you have a paper copy of the book?".

The screenshot shows us that that piece is absolutely full of errors. I recommend you stop using it for English study. If I get time later (and someone doesn't beat me to it), I'll indicate all the errors.
Oh, so interesting the point was (its photo). I enjoyed.

About Allen Ascher and Joan Saslow the authors of Topnotch and Summit series I should mention that I have been working with them for at least 10 years and I have read almost all parts of their books very precisely. This photo and the corresponding exercise that I shared here is the only part in all volumes (8 volumes) that include too many errors. I believe they might have copied it from an unknown webpage and not cautiously pasted it in the workbook part on their newly edited version. Although it is a shame for an educationally praised reference in my country, I believe it does not mean their whole attempt could be neglected. It is only one exercise in their workbook that must be excluded in their next press.

Status
Not open for further replies.