Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi,

Please correct the following, especially the underlined part.

A: I go to a nearby hotel to eat rice.
N: Does it contain chicken or potatoes?

A: I am eating rice.
N: Rice chicken or potatoes in it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Please correct the following, especially the underlined part.

A: I go to a nearby hotel to eat rice.
N: Does it contain chicken or potatoes?

A: I am eating rice.
N: Rice chicken or potatoes in it?

The first underlined part is fine. The second needs "with" after "Rice". Is this a likely conversation? I have never met anyone who assumed there would be chicken, potato or anything else in a bowl of rice. Admittedly, I can't imagine ever telling anyone that I went to a hotel to eat rice. I usually go to a cafe or restaurant to eat, and I wouldn't simply pick on one aspect of my meal.

"I frequently go to a nearby restaurant to eat curry, rice and samosas."
"I love going to the cafe near my flat. They do the best cheese and pickle sandwiches I've ever had."

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I love going to the cafe near my flat. They do the best cheese and pickle sandwiches I've ever had."

Cheese and pickle sandwiches?? Eew. (Just my opinion, of course, but....eew. :-? Almost as bad as the pineapple and mayonnaise sandwiches my husband makes for himself.)

And, to the OP, as a rule rice wouldn't contain potatoes, which is another starch. Someone might inquire whether your rice was plain, or did it include meat or vegetables.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Pineapple and mayonnaise sounds revolting! Mind you, pineapple in anything except a fruit salad (or on its own) sounds disgusting to me.

Out of curiosity, JillDorchester, what did you understand by "pickle" in my sentence?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Pineapple and mayonnaise sounds revolting!

Here in Japan, they have strawberry and cream sandwiches. I have never got round to trying one, but my Japanese wife explained that for many here bread is a form of cake - sliced white is often sweet, though they have plenty of proper bread on sale. This makes some sort of sense, and I am more likely to go for a strawberry sandwich than pineapple and mayo.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pineapple and mayonnaise sounds revolting! Mind you, pineapple in anything except a fruit salad (or on its own) sounds disgusting to me.

Out of curiosity, JillDorchester, what did you understand by "pickle" in my sentence?

I presumed you meant a gherkin of some sort, but now it sounds like I was wrong. (OK, I just looked it up and it appears to be some sort of relish....? Still not tickling my fancy, I must admit!) ;-)

Pineapple sandwiches are a Southern (as in the American South) creation; my husband grew up eating them, so I guess they have a nostalgic taste for him today.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I presumed you meant a gherkin of some sort, but now it sounds like I was wrong. (OK, I just looked it up and it appears to be some sort of relish....? Still not tickling my fancy, I must admit!) ;-)

I think enjoyment of this probably requires a British passport.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I figured as much with the pickle/gherkin confusion. We call gherkins gherkins (or pickled gherkins!) A classic cheese and pickle sandwich is two doorstep wedges of bread, proper full-fat butter, thick slices of cheddar cheese and a layer of Branston Pickle. (In fact, the background photo shows a fairly classic example but with lettuce and tomato added.)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I always thought a pickle was a pickle. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.