Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Here we have several semi outdoor badminton courts under national highway, national highway is our ceiling in the above. Besibes, there are wire fences enclosing the badminton court. There are also black fine mesh on the wire fences to block some wind out.

Is it correct to refer to this badminton court as semi outdoor badminton court? Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here we have several semi-outdoor badminton courts directly under the national highway. The national highway is acts like our a ceiling. in the above. Besides, Also, there are wire fences enclosing the badminton courts and there are is also fine black fine mesh on the those wire fences to block some wind out.

Is it correct to refer to this badminton court as semi-outdoor badminton court? Thanks.
See my changes above. I don't think that's an accurate description. They're completely outdoors. They don't have solid walls and having a main road above your head doesn't really make it a ceiling or even a roof.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the concept of something being 'semi-outdoors', as you put it, is a very useful one! Unfortunately, however, we don't use this concept and therefore don't have a word for it.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I disagree. "Semi-outdoors" is as useful as "semi-pregnant." One is either outdoors or not. You can be under a cover, like in a pavilion, but you're still outdoors.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's a pub/bar that I sometimes frequent that has a 'garden' area out the back. This area has a roof and four walls but the walls don't go all the way up. The bits in between are a sort of bamboo thatch. You're mostly protected from the weather but if there's a strong wind, you'll feel it. What makes it outdoor, legally speaking, is the fact that you can smoke there. Other than that it really feels like you're indoors. That's what I was thinking about when I wrote post #3.

I guess I'm saying that you can easily feel like you're indoors even when technically you're outdoors. I doubt that's the case with pregnancy!