Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "would" mean? Is it a conditional mood as in "if you normally hold eye contact, you would hold another way"?

im76
ex)Maybe you've heard it before: When meeting someone new, the first few seconds are crucial. This is because people often make character judgements at first sight. Here are some tips to help you make a good first impression.
First, hold eye contact a second or two longer than you normally would.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Whenever I post questions related to "would", I feel kind of guilty as this seems to bother teachers, but why would "would" bother me so much? I remember some teacher said "would" is so messy that even some native speakers find it hard to define.
In Korean, there's similar words that I find hard to define, so if foreigners ask me what it means in various cases, I would lose my temper. But that's because I'm used to it from experience, but for English "would", I am not due to lack of experience in real life.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is hard to define. However, in the example you posted this time, it means "than usual". "Hold eye contact for a little longer than is normally habitual for you."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a curious usage- you could replace it with do without changing the meaning much, but using would makes it more hypothetical than factual.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot. Just one short note, my humble opinion. As I learned from conditionals, an adverb like "normally" seems to play a conditional meaning "if you were in normal situation, you would do something".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm not too sure what you're getting at here- could you give another example?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot. Just one short note, my humble opinion. As I learned from conditionals, an adverb like "normally" seems to play a conditional meaning "if you were in normal situation, you would do something".

I've been trying to work out what I would normally (!) say and came up with the following:

If I am cooking dinner for six people, I normally start cooking at about four o'clock.
If I were cooking dinner for six people, I would normally start cooking at about four o'clock.

I'm really not sure that's what you're getting at though.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I just made a mixed conditional for "would" meaning "You would hold eye contact if you are in normal situation"(counterfactual or unlikely+predictive) as I thought if this "would" is a rare use, this composition is the only way to interpret it.

Sorry to confuse you, but driving home, I thought maybe the reason I get confused sometimes is that even native speakers can make a mistake or inproper expressions. Even if every single word, sentence, or paragarph is edited by thorough grammar & punctuation rules, there could be inproper expressions or editing mistakes as to err is human.
Even Koreans can make weird writings in Korean, so I guess I might have worried too much about the mistakes of writers that I needn't have.

ex) "First, hold eye contact a second or two longer than you normally would."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just made a mixed conditional for "would" meaning "You would hold eye contact if you are in normal situation"(counterfactual or unlikely+predictive) as I thought if this "would" is a rare use, this composition is the only way to interpret it.

Sorry to confuse you, but driving home, I thought maybe the reason I get confused sometimes is that even native speakers can make a mistake or inproper expressions. Even if every single word, sentence, or paragarph is edited by thorough grammar & punctuation rules, there could be inproper expressions or editing mistakes as to err is human.
Even Koreans can make weird writings in Korean, so I guess I might have worried too much about the mistakes of writers that I needn't have.

ex) "First, hold eye contact a second or two longer than you normally would."

I readily admit that the whole "counterfactual" etc descriptions of words, conditionals, phrases etc generally pass me by. "You would hold eye contact if you were in a normal situation" sounds fine to me, changing it to "if you are ..." doesn't.

Hold eye contact if you are in a normal situation.
You would hold eye contact if you were in a normal situation.

If I heard a native speaker mix the two, and come out with the sentence you quoted at the beginning of your post, I would not immediately think "That's an error". However, when you start to write these things down and analyse them, you can find all kinds of slip-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.