Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in the first part of my short story. This is a work of fiction and has nothing to do with real persons or events.

The prime minister went to bed late, her body still aching from all the meetings, discussions, quarrels and worries she had to deal with from early in the morning. With every passing day, she grew more anxious. She was in turmoil since she had become the leader of the party. What should have been the pinnacle of her career was turning into the nightmare. Her government had become a nest of vipers. As they all sat together at a long table, they smiled and nodded at each other, but she knew that anyone of them could be her executioner. Some ministers had gone and new had come, but the atmosphere didn’t change a bit. They plotted against her and against one another, hoping to seize the chance when it came up. Behind their smiles and greetings hid deviousness and treachery that you read about in Shakespeare’s plays.

If people had voted differently on the Brexit referendum, her life would have been much quieter. She would have stayed in the government, although somewhere in the background, where you were not exposed to the evil media and prying journalists, watching your every movement and commenting on every word you said. A few years later, she would not only receive her well-deserved pension but also would become a peer, her name embellished with the baroness title. But masses had proved again they cannot think rationally and voted for Leave. When Vade saw what had happened, he resigned and ran away, leaving her alone to clear up the mess. She could’ve told him no and kept her ministerial post, but she is made of sterner stuff than her enemy can imagine. She was ready to take up the fight because the future of the country was at stake. If beardy Ivan ever came to power, the country would be lost. Instead of God Save the Queen, everyone would be singing the Internationale, people would greet each other with “comrade”, and students would carry Karl Marx’s Capital in their schoolbags.

As long as she was breathing, she wowed never to allow such a tragedy to happen. She was sent by destiny, just as it was Churchill and Mrs Thatcher before her, at the time when the country needed a charismatic leader who would guide the nation towards victory. When she felt depressed and had nobody around her, she would put on her favourite necklace, the one with the white pearls as large as ping-pong balls, and stand in front of a large mirror. “Christina, you are the greatest leader!” she pumped the air with her gnarled fists. “You’re the chosen one. Don’t let them bring you down.” After these pep talks, she felt energized, more determined than ever to go to the end. She vowed never to resign, even if the whole country called for it.
TO BE CONTINUED

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm really not sure you can preface an entire piece about Brexit with the words "This is a work of fiction and has nothing to do with real persons or events"! You've used far too many real names and real events for that disclaimer to work. I'm not suggesting it be changed but I think your disclaimer is a little pointless!

Note to responders - please keep all responses to language issues only.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Would you please correct the mistakes in the first part of my short story? This is a work of fiction and has nothing to do with real persons or events.

The prime minister went to bed late, her body still aching from all the meetings, discussions, quarrels and worries she had to deal [STRIKE]with from early[/STRIKE] earlier in the morning. With every passing day, she grew more anxious. She's been [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] in turmoil since [STRIKE]she had become[/STRIKE] becoming the leader of the party. What should have been the pinnacle of her career was turning into [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a nightmare. Her [STRIKE]government[/STRIKE] cabinet had become a nest of vipers. As they all sat together at a long table, they smiled and nodded at each other, but she knew that anyone of them could be her executioner. Some ministers had gone and new ones had come, but the atmosphere didn’t change a bit. They plotted against her and against one another, hoping to seize the chance when it came up. Behind their smiles and greetings hid the deviousness and treachery that you read about in Shakespeare’s plays.

If the people had voted differently [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in the Brexit referendum, her life would have been much quieter. She would have stayed [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] as the head of government, although somewhere in the background, [STRIKE]where you were[/STRIKE] not exposed to the evil media and prying journalists, watching [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] her every movement and commenting on every word [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] she said. A few years later, she would not only have received her well-deserved pension but also would have become a peer, her name embellished with the title of Baroness. [STRIKE]title.[/STRIKE] But masses had proved again they cannot think rationally and voted [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to leave. When Vade saw what had happened, he resigned and ran away, leaving her alone to clear up the mess. She could’ve told him no and kept her ministerial post, but she is made of sterner stuff than her enemy can imagine. She was ready to take up the fight because the future of the country was at stake. If beardy Ivan ever came to power, the country would be lost. Instead of God Save the Queen, everyone would be singing the Internationale. People would [STRIKE]greet[/STRIKE] call each other [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] “comrade”, and students would carry Karl Marx’s Capital in their schoolbags.

[STRIKE] As long as she was breathing,[/STRIKE] She wowed never to allow such a tragedy to happen as long as there was a breath left in her. She was sent by providence, [STRIKE]destiny,[/STRIKE] just as [STRIKE]it was[/STRIKE] Churchill and Mrs Thatcher were before her, [STRIKE]at the[/STRIKE] in times when the country needed a charismatic leader who would guide the nation towards victory. When she felt depressed and had nobody around her, she would put on her favourite necklace, the one with the white pearls as large as ping-pong balls, and stand in front of a large mirror. “Christina, you are the greatest leader!” she pumped the air with her gnarled fists. “You’re the chosen one. Don’t let them bring you down.” After these pep talks, she felt energized, more determined than ever to go on. [STRIKE]to the end.[/STRIKE] She vowed never to resign, even if the whole country called for it.
TO BE CONTINUED
I don't understand the underlined part.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
teechar,

Thank you for taking your time and correcting my story. I appreciate that so much.

I'll just like to give you an explanation. Before Christina became the prime minister she was Home Secretary. If there had been no referendum, she would have probably held the same position. Therefore I wrote "she would have stayed in the government, although somewhere in the background." In your correction "she would have stayed as the head of the government", but I think the head of the government is the prime minister, and it was Vade before his resignation. When he resigned, Christina took over the party and the post of the prime minister. If she had said no to him, she would have remained the Home Secretary. So maybe the underlined part should be written in this way: "She could have told him no and stay in the Home Office."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
teechar,

Thank you for taking your time and correcting my story. I appreciate that so much.

[STRIKE]I'll[/STRIKE] I'd just like to give you an explanation. Before Christina became the prime minister, she was Home Secretary. If there had been no referendum, she would have probably held the same position. Therefore, I wrote "she would have stayed in the government, although somewhere in the background." In your correction "she would have stayed as the head of the government", but I think the head of the government is the prime minister, and [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that was Vade before his resignation. When he resigned, Christina took over the party and the post of the prime minister. If she had said no to him, she would have remained the Home Secretary. So maybe the underlined part should be written in this way: "She could have told him no and stayed [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] as Home [STRIKE]Office[/STRIKE] Secretary."
I see what you mean. Then, that paragraph should be:

If the people had voted differently [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in the Brexit referendum, her life would have been much quieter. She would have stayed in the cabinet/government, although somewhere in the background, [STRIKE]where you were[/STRIKE] not exposed to the evil media and prying journalists, watching [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] her every movement and commenting on every word [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] she said. A few years later, she would not only have received her well-deserved pension but also would have become a peer, her name embellished with the title of Baroness. [STRIKE]title.[/STRIKE] But masses had proved again they cannot think rationally and voted [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to leave. When Vade saw what had happened, he resigned and ran away, leaving her alone to clear up the mess. She could’ve refused the top job [STRIKE]told him no[/STRIKE] and kept her ministerial post, but she is made of sterner stuff than her enemy can imagine. She was ready to take up the fight because the future of the country was at stake. If beardy Ivan ever came to power, the country would be lost. Instead of God Save the Queen, everyone would be singing the Internationale. People would [STRIKE]greet[/STRIKE] call each other [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] “comrade”, and students would carry Karl Marx’s Capital in their schoolbags.

Status
Not open for further replies.