Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello everyone,
Could you tell me if the following sentences
are correct, please? They make me puzzled. Thank you very much.
1. The colors of the dresses are the same.
2. The dresses have the same color.
3. The dresses are of/ in the same color.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone.

Could you tell me if the following sentences are correct, please? They make me puzzled confuse me. Thank you very much.

1. The colors of the dresses are the same.
2. The dresses have the same color.
3. The dresses are of/in the same color.

Skrej has given you the most natural way of saying it. However, it might depend on whether the dresses are a single block colour, or are multi-coloured.
If there are three blue dresses, then the simple "The dresses are the same colour" is fine.
If there are three dresses that are all blue, red, green and orange, then "The colours on/of all the dresses are the same" or "The dresses are identical". The second works only if the dresses are exactly the same, rather than simply being made of fabrics of the same four colours.

Lisa123

Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Skrej has given you the most natural way of saying it. However, it might depend on whether the dresses are a single block colour, or are multi-coloured.
If there are three blue dresses, then the simple "The dresses are the same colour" is fine.
If there are three dresses that are all blue, red, green and orange, then "The colours on/of all the dresses are the same" or "The dresses are identical". The second works only if the dresses are exactly the same, rather than simply being made of fabrics of the same four colours.
Thank you for the reply. But would you tell me what’s wrong with the sentence “ They make me puzzled.”? Is it grammatically incorrect or not natural? What if I change it into “ They make me feel puzzled.”? Thank you for your help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it's what you meant. The sentences themselves don't puzzle you. I think you know exactly what you want them to mean. The problem you have is simply that you don't know which one is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.