Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
NWoT1SD.jpg

Me: Why not "animals"?

Friend: Just a colloquialism. That's not correct but native speakers say it anyway. However, he probably meant to say "Tigers are my favourite [type of] animal", which would work fine.
---
I agree with my friend but I'd would like to hear your opinions. :)

PS - [Another example] I like cheetahs. They're the fastest land animal in the world.
PPS - You might be also interested in this thread: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/tigers-are-a-dangerous-animal.3931574/

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
He's talking about the one animal that's his favourite. He could also have said "The tiger's my favourite animal".

HSS has got the right idea in post #6.
But tracer2 and Uncle Jack over there don't think this kind of construction is okay. :oops:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Your question was "Why not animals?" I answered it.

Have you read that thread in full? Uncle Jack over there acknowledges you'll hear that kind of construction. Tracer2 agrees it's common. They didn't just say "No, it's wrong".

And while it may not be perfect, I don't consider it really wrong.

People, even native speakers of a language, don't always speak in perfectly constructed, grammatical sentences. You'll often find people using constructions that aren't completely correct. You'll have to figure out which ones are common and therefore somewhat acceptable, and which ones are sub-standard.

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Your question was "Why not animals?" I answered it.
Yes, you did. However, my question implies that the construction is questionable. That's why I referred to the thread in another forum.

Have you read that thread in full? Uncle Jack over there acknowledges you'll hear that kind of construction. Tracer2 agrees it's common. They didn't just say "No, it's wrong".
I have. And Uncle Jack said "Most careful writers/speakers will avoid it."

tracer2 said "No...#1 is not acceptable. It has to be Tigers are dangerous animals or A tiger is a dangerous animal. I've made the same mistake or similar quite often in my school days."
You'll have to figure out which ones are common and therefore somewhat acceptable, and which ones are sub-standard.
I suspect Uncle Jack and tracer2 would say that it is somewhat acceptable.

PS - To be honest, Barque, the question in red made me a little frustrated. How could I not have read that thread? If I were you, I would have said something which could get things better.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's a difficult wider question here, of what makes something 'right/wrong', or 'acceptable/unacceptable'. An appropriate answer would depend on whether one is taking a descriptive or prescriptive approach.

With you, kadioguy, I'd take a prescriptive approach and advise you not to use the sentence quoted in the original post. Instead, say The tiger is my favourite animal or Tigers are my favourite animals.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
How could I not have read that thread?
I wouldn't know. I said that because I got the impression you hadn't read the qualifications Uncle Jack and Tracer2 made to their posts. Ok, maybe you had.

Let's look at a couple of your statements.
In post #3, you said "But tracer2 and Uncle Jack over there don't think this kind of construction is okay." (Sounds as if you think they disagree with this construction.)
Then in post #7, you said "I suspect Uncle Jack and tracer2 would say that it is somewhat acceptable." (Sounds as if you think they accept it partly.)

You've got to decide for yourself based on the answers you get, after a certain point.

Obviously you aren't satisfied with the answers on the WRF thread and that's why you started this thread. You don't seem satisfied with the answers here either. If you're looking for a situation where everyone is in complete agreement and gives you definite answers, that won't always happen.

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What is that supposed to mean?
That was a critical remark. I wouldn't have said that.

Perhaps:

'Yes, they did. However, Uncle Jack over there acknowledges you'll hear that kind of construction. Tracer2 agrees it's common. They didn't just say "No, it's wrong".'

I think this way the listener would be more gladly convinced.
In post #3, you said "But tracer2 and Uncle Jack over there don't think this kind of construction is okay." (Sounds as if you think they disagree with this construction.)
Then in post #7, you said "I suspect Uncle Jack and tracer2 would say that it is somewhat acceptable." (Sounds as if you think they accept it partly.)
"I suspect Uncle Jack and tracer2 would say that it is somewhat acceptable."

That means "Would they say that? I suspect." I.e., I don't think Uncle Jack and tracer2 would say that.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That means "Would they say that? I suspect." I.e., I don't think Uncle Jack and tracer2 would say that.
I suspect means, roughly, I think. It does not mean I doubt. I suspect that you have been saying the opposite of what you mean.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'm afraid you're wrong. It means "I think they would say that".

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
With you, kadioguy, I'd take a prescriptive approach and advise you not to use the sentence quoted in the original post.
Hi jutfrank,
If you don't mind, could you tell me why "with" is used here? Is the pattern "take something with someone"? How about "for"?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'm not jutfrank, but it's an idiomatic way of saying "As far as you're concerned".

Not meant to be interpreted literally.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes.

But don't analyse it. Just figure out what the intended meaning is. If you analyse it too much, you won't make progress.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With you -- in your case

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can understand my use of with in its most basic sense: If I were working together with you (as your teacher), I'd take a prescriptive approach, as I nearly always do when teaching learners.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Stop trying to pin the meanings of words tightly to dictionary definitions.
Agreed. Dictionaries are only a guide. The actual meaning of a word lies in how it's customarily used.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Stop trying to pin the meanings of words tightly to dictionary definitions.
I'm afraid I have very few choices since I live in a non-English country. It's hard to expect that there's always someone to answer my questions while dictionaries are willing to tell as much in detail as they can. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.