Title insurance is typically required on all mortgage applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan011

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

I had a question in an online class today and I thought it was worded wrong, but they insisted it was correctly worded.

"Title insurance is typically required on all mortgage applications."

My objection was re the use of word "typically" and "all" in the same question. My feeling is that these two contradict each other somehow. Am I wrong?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This statement can probably be understood only in the context of the USA. In that country, mortgage lenders amost always require borrowers to puchase title insurance as additional security for the loan. (The premium is normally paid by the lender and added to the loan balance.) Occasionally, however, the lender may feel adequately protected by other means, for example a very solvent guarantor. Hence the word "typically".

Bojan011

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Canada
The correct answer is that Title Insurance is always required for mortgage. My understanding of “typically” is “almost always”. So writing them both in the same sentence confuses me. It is always or not, whereas it should be always.

I am not questioning the meaning of the sentence, just the wording.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The correct answer is that Title Insurance is always required for mortgage. My understanding of “typically” is “almost always”. So writing them both in the same sentence confuses me. It is always or not, whereas it should be always.

I am not questioning the meaning of the sentence, just the wording.

Horsefeathers. Until Donald Trump was elected I owned a house in Florida, and never had title insurance on it. Furthermore, I live in Canada where virtually nobody has title insurance although most homeowners have mortgages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.