Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
https://youtu.be/yCALyQRN3hw?t=5h56m7s

This is a very long video, and I'm only transcribing a certain part for use in my class. There were a few parts I couldn't quite make out and so I came here to seek the help of the good people here in this forum.

The first part I couldn't quite hear was during the question time for the press. Between 5:56:11 and 13, This lady (I believe she's a moderator / master of ceremonies) says something to designate a person to ask questions.

5:56:09 Thank you. Now we have time for questions.

5:56:11 (????) this gentleman in the red jumper.

What does she say in (????)?

And the NHK correspondent in the red jumper follows with his question:

Hello, from NHK in Japan to Mr. Hassabis. And today there was that sequence of three to four AlphaGo moves, which looked like an unfathomable mistake to even the experts. But they couldn’t dismiss it because mistakes had previously turned out to be advantageous. If this happens in real world usage, something medical where someone’s life depends on it, and even to experts it looks like a grave error, but people accept it thinking there’s a bigger picture in mind, it would cause a lot of confusion. What do you think about that?

I'm not sure whether he actually said 'had' there or not. Maybe I'm imagining it.

After the Korean translation for the Korean audience, Mr. Hassabis answers the question at 5:57:28.

Well, of course, the first thing you have to remember is AlphaGo is a prototype program. I wouldn’t even say it’s in beta, it’s not even in alpha, probably. So, um, of course, (5:57:38 – 42) that’s the part of this… well, the aim of this match is to look at what those weaknesses are, and you can only do that in games, in Go, by testing against a very diverse range of opponents, who are extremely skilled. And there are not that many of them in the world. Lee Sedol is one of those. So that’s one thing I would say. Of course, also, we are playing a game, a beautiful game. But um, health care would be a different matter, and that would require obviously extensive, stringent testing (5:58:10) in the normal way for software, and, but that’s not… this is a one-off program that’s… you know, in a prototype phase and work-in-progress phase that we are testing here, so I think that’s a very different (5:58:21) set of situations.

I have no idea what has been said in the first one. I heard something that sounded like 'aim,' but I'm making a wild guess here. If I'm asking too many questions and you do not feel like answering all, can you prioritize this question? I am fairly confident about my guesses in other parts, but this one I know I am wrong.

The second part about testing software in the normal way - that is what I heard, but it seems a bit out of place and maybe I heard wrong.

As for the third one - 'set of,' I am not sure if it's there, but since the following word ended with the plural -s, I inserted what sounded correct and seemed to make sense.

Again, I am asking quite a number of questions, but your help would be much appreciated.

- HKB

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She says "Um, so I'll take this gentleman ...".

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you, emsr2d2, for answering my first question. I thought I had gotten used to at least some of the more commonly heard British accents, but I guess I still have a long way to go.

I guess I packed too many questions in a single thread. But now that the first question is answered, would anyone be kind enough to answer the remainder?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My take:

2 Yes, the word had is there.
3 That's a part of what we're doing in this match

The others sound correct, though the last could be sort, but that doesn't go so well with situations in the plural.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That "aim" was actually "doing"? Wow, now that I'm given your take on the sentence I kind of hear it, but only because I am forcing myself. Almost sounds like the intonation came in a step too late or something.

Thank you very much, Tdol.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was a bit surprised when I saw the difference between what you had written, but it was what I heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.